29. Nemesis (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis)Anyone who played this game must still have post-traumatic stress disorder from this guy. His constant pursuit made RE3 memorable even among the other, superior installments in the series. My policy: Whenever a guy has an eyeball in his shoulder, I vamos! (Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia)
28. Bob the Killer Goldfish (Earthworm Jim series)Come on-the dude is a goldfish! And he has cat minions to do his evil bidding! Bob may not be the toughest boss on this list (in fact, he's probably the easiest, since he's famous for never putting up a fight), but he's definitely one of the most creative. It'd just be nice of the developers shared whatever they're drinking... unless it's goldfish. (Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia)
27. Cats (Zero Wing)"All Your Base Are Belong To Us."
26. Singe (Dragon's Lair)Dragon's Lair was a seminal sidestep in the history of videogames... not quite a portent of the future, but absolutely a step away from the past, and Singe was perhaps the most lifelike and beautiful villain ever created. And oh, boy-the breath!
25. Mike Tyson (Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!)Now HERE is a guy who speaks softly and carries a big stick-two of them, in fact, and they're called left and right biceps. Mike Tyson arrived at the end of the NES adaptation of the arcade classic Punch Out!! to clearly define pain as a toothy grin and weird haircut.
24. Hogger (World of WarCraft)Oh, I'm such a cute level 11 rogue, look at me running around killing pig guys! I must be good at this game, I haven't even died yet. Hey-look at that Hogger guy, I wonder why he has a dragon on his nameplate. I guess I'll kill him, too. AHHH!!! BLOODY BRUTAL DEATH! STOP MOLESTING MY CORPSE, HOGGER! (Photo Courtesy of Allakazam)
23. Dark Falz (Phantasy Star series)A pure manifestation of hate (or "Profound Darkness"), this villain shows up as the big bad in all of the fantastic Phantasy Star games. And he had an entire solar system created to imprison him. Respect!
22. Darth Malak (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)A bad-ass Sith with no creeping morals, whiney kids or lightning-etched skin issues, Darth Malak is one of, if not the coolest expanded universe Star Wars character yet. After betraying and murdering his master (and losing his jaw in the gruesome battle), Malak attempts to use a special spiritual device to usurp the Galaxy. 'Cause we Sith all know Galaxies need usurpin'!
21. Yorgle, Grundle and Rhindle (Adventure)In a game whose entire code consisted of less data than your desktop wallpaper, Adventure offered three dragons with distinct personalities. If you remember, the Yorgle, the yellow dragon, was afraid of the yellow key. Grundle, the green dragon, was the fierce guardian of objects, and Rhindle, the red dragon, was the fastest and most dangerous of the beasts. Now I'm going to stop playing and go outside to breakdance.
20. Goro (Mortal Kombat)As if the fighters in the ultimate battle for the universe (or whatever) weren't fearsome enough, with the ice throwing and the bicycle kicking and the glamour photo-wielding (or whatever), here comes a dude with four arms! Ow!
19. Arthas (WarCraft III)One of the most important characters in the long, storied history of WarCraft's land of Azeroth, Arthas' weak character allowed his soul to be corrupted by the machinations of the Lich King, Ner'zhul. Arthas murdered the King of Lordaeron and allowed the Undead scourge to topple the once-proud human city. Boooooo!
18. Ares (God of War)A cunning and ruthless warrior who has manipulated the equally ruthless Kratos into unspeakable acts, Ares dominates the atmosphere of God of War as our bad-ass Kratos desperately claws his way toward their ultimate confrontation. Ain't no puppy love here!
17. Lance Vance (GTA: Vice City)Memorably voiced by Phillip Michael Thomas, Lance Vance was on a bloodthirsty quest to avenge the death of his brother, Victor. The depth and personality Vice City established for this character made him indelibly sympathetic despite his psychopathic attitude. And he's got that Tubbs sparkle! (photo courtesy of Wikipedia)
16. The Cyberdemon (Doom series)So you've got a 10 foot tall minotaur straight out of hell and you're like, "Well, how do I make this guy really fearsome? Because clearly the 10 foot tall minotaurness of him just isn't enough...." Just add cybernetics and replace one arm with a rocket launcher. Viola!
15. Dr. Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog series)Well you'd be pissed too if you had an IQ of 3000 and a freaking hedgehog kept outwitting you! (Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia)
14. Diablo (Diablo series)Diablo, the Lord of Terror, is the most devilish of the three Prime Evils guarding the gates to hell in Blizzard's oober-selling Diablo series. Diablo is so mind-bogglingly evil that he corrupts the soul of the hero of Diablo I in order to reincarnate in Diablo II. The unforgiving boss battles in the Diablo games are some of the most nervewracking in videogame history. And doggone it, there is a cow level!
13. Sinistar (Sinistar)Sure, Sinistar may not have had the same pop-culture impact as a lot of the games on this list, but tell me you didn't get the chills when you heard a video game speak for the first time. Sinistar, the first arcade game with stereo sound, is Asteroids on tension-laced crack as you race to procure Sinibombs before the enemy workers assemble the Sinistar and it owns your sorry rump. "Beware, I live!" And beware we did.