The eight tabs available for creating a profile using either tool -- along with their options -- are the following.
General: This provides overall information about the profile, the ability to digitally sign it, the options to export it for storage or hosting on a Web server, the options for importing an existing profile for editing and the information on how to e-mail the profile directly to users. Specific options include:
- Name: The profile name displayed to users (required).
- Identifier: A unique alphanumeric string used to identify the profile for updates later provided to iPhones where the profile is already installed. The format is similar to that used for applications and Dashboard widgets in the form of com.example.profile (required).
- Organization: The organization for which the profile is being created.
- Description: A short description for users.
- Signature: A dialog used to select a certificate and private key used to digitally sign the profile.
- Delivery: Buttons for importing, exporting and e-mailing profiles.
- Require passcode on device: Prompts users to create a passcode to unlock the iPhone.
- Allow simple value: Permits basic repeated characters as a passcode.
- Require alphanumeric value: Requires passcode to include numbers and letters.
- Minimum passcode length.
- Minimum number of complex characters: Required number of nonalphanumeric characters.
- Maximum passcode age: Number of days after which a user must change the passcode.
- Passcode lock: Number of minutes (one to five) of inactivity after which the iPhone locks automatically.
- Maximum number of failed attempts: The number of failed attempts permitted when entering the passcode after which the iPhone will need to be authorized with iTunes to be used again. Note: For more than six attempts, a time delay before each following attempt will be imposed and increased with each failed attempt.