Group to keep fire under Apple over Baby Shaker app
- — 28 April, 2009 08:48
The Sarah Jane Brain Foundation has vowed to keep demonstrating against Apple Inc. over the Baby Shaker application that appeared for two days on the company's App Store last week, adding iPhone carrier AT&T Inc. to its scorn.
The group said it will conduct a 15-city protest against the two companies, starting in Boston on May 3 and ending in Seattle on May 17.
Even Apple's apology, issued on Thursday, came too late, a spokesman for the group said in an e-mail. "It was pretty clear this was not an apology but a statement to the media to end the story and their responsibility," said foundation spokesman Patrick Donahue. "It was not an apology to the families and victims who are dealing with the consequences of Shaken Baby Syndrome every day."
Apple could not be reached for comment on the extended protest, but AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said Monday that AT&T "fully supports Apple's decision to withdraw the app. It was the right thing to do. The app was tasteless and offensive."
The foundation works with a variety of groups to draw attention to Shaken Baby Syndrome. The demonstration coincides with the American PABI Heroes Tour, which was planned as the first national musical competition to raise awareness of Pediatric Acquired Brain Injury (PABI). The PABI heroes are musician-supported families affected by PABI, which is the leading cause of death and disability for children and young adults in the U.S., according to the foundation.