Top 10 UK iPhone stats by O2
- — 11 November, 2009 02:18
What were you doing two years ago today? I was queuing outside a Carphone Warehouse (number two in a queue of four) waiting to get my hands on one of the first official iPhones in the UK.
Carphone Warehouse's registration/activation system went up in smoke, but luckily a colleague picked one up for me down the road at the O2 shop.
Two years on O2 is still the exclusive carrier of Apple's iPhone in the UK - until tomorrow that is, when rival Orange joins in the smartphone fun. And next year Vodafone will also sell the iPhone.
To mark this momentous occasion and blow its own trumpet before its rivals jump on the bandwagon, O2 has some statistics to shout about.
Here's O2 Top 10 UK iPhone stats:
1. The Apple iPhone is the fastest-selling device ever on O2 in the UK
2. O2 now has over 1 million iPhone customers
3. O2 also offers the iPhone in Germany, Czech Republic and Ireland
4. The iPhone was the first device to come with unlimited Wi-Fi included in the tariff
5. The iPhone helped O2 in the UK record its highest ever net gain of customers in the fourth quarter of 2007 when it first went on sale in the UK. O2 added 483,000 net customers in the quarter including 276,000 on contract. (It wasn't available on Pay & Go until September 2008)
6. iPhone 3G launched in June 2008. Consumer interest in the 3G iPhone was four times more than interest in its 2G predecessor
7. 40 days from launch, approximately half a million customers have downloaded the MyO2 iPhone app
8. One fifth of iPhone customers live within the M25
9. The O2 network has seen data traffic increase 20-fold in the last 12 months, doubling every four months
10. Since launching the iPhone, O2 has become the home of the smartphone: Other exclusives on O2 include the Palm Pre and the Samsung Galaxy at launch