Apple to launch iPad 3 on March 7?
- — 14 February, 2012 10:54
If the gossip is true, the next-generation iPad will be a sight to behold. Its most compelling (alleged) feature: a 2048-by-1536-pixel display, offering four times the resolution of the iPad 2's 1024-by-768-pixel screen.
Apple will launch the iPad 3 — or iPad HD if you believe some reports - on Wednesday, March 7, according to the latest rumours.
Aside from the launch date the iPad 3 rumour mill has been in overdrive in the last few weeks. The most consistent rumour seems to be the presence of a 2048×1536 resolution "retina" display, a huge boost over the current iPad 2's screen. If true, the iPad 3 will be the third product to use a retina display following the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.
iMore also suggests the iPad 3 will include a quad-core processor and may include 4G connectivity, which should in theory make it compatible with Telstra's new 4G network. However, it will be interesting to see if this is the case: Telstra's 4G network in Australis uses the 1800MHz network band, which is not the same as 4G networks in the US and other parts of the world.
Other rumors suggest the iPad 3 will come with an improved camera (either 5 or 8-megapixels), and a HD front camera to significantly improve the quality of Facetime calls. Most reports are also claiming the iPad 3 will be thinner and lighter than the original, and will come with more memory and an improved graphics processor. However, some have revealed that the iPad 3 may be thicker due to a better quality camera.
Other rumours about the third-generation iPad have included:
• A carbon fibre case to reduce weight and increase mobility (Unlikely)
• A front-facing HD camera to improve quality of Facetime calls (Highly likely)
• An SD card slot (Unlikely)
• A Retina display with 2048×1536 resolution (Highly likely)
• Thinner case design than the current iPad 2 (Possible)
• No home button; use of multi-touch gestures instead (Unlikely)
• An NFC (Near Field Communications) chip (Possible)
What are your thoughts about the iPad 3? Let us know in the comments below!