First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Adding memory to old laptops: ASUS M6000 Series
James Hopkin has worked in the Australian computer industry since 1987. He founded Upgradeable.com in 1999 as an independent online source for computer memory upgrades. From day one the Upgradeable way has been to help computer users easily upgrade their systems.
When upgrading your ASUS M6000 notebook, it is important to find the correct memory modules for your notebook's specific model number. There have been quite a number of different notebooks released within this series, some of which require DDR memory and others which require DDR2 memory.
Find a list of ASUS memory upgrades on the Upgradeable Web site.
Before you begin the installation, it's worth considering backing up any critical files in the event of a problem occurring. DO NOT install the memory while the computer is in standby or hibernation mode. Ensure that the system is completely powered down.
This is simply done to remove any static electricity from your body so that accidental zaps don't damage your memory modules. While your computer is still plugged into the wall, touch a metal part of your computer. If you leave your computer you will need to ground yourself again. Alternatively, you can invest in an anti-static strap and clip yourself to a grounded piece of metal.
Once the computer is completely shutdown, remove all plugs and the power cable from the computer. As you are upgrading a notebook it is also important to remove the battery.
Always keep the memory modules in their anti-static bag until you are ready to begin the installation. Handle the modules only by the edges and don't touch the gold pins. No tools are required to remove or fit memory modules and using tools can cause damage to the modules.
Installing the Memory – Base of the Notebook
1. Remove 2 screws (M2*3L(K) ) and take the memory DIMM cover away.
2. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
3. To install the new memory module, hold it at a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the module with the notch located in the memory slot.
4. Gently push the module in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the module in place.
5. Make sure the module is firmly in the slot and that's it's not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the module by repeating steps 2 to 4.
Internal memory slot: keyboard removal instructions
1. Remove 2 screws (M2.5*6L(K)) on the bottom case.
2. Flip the notebook over and proceed by unlocking the 3 keyboard latches then pull out the keyboard forward and lay the keyboard on the front side.
3. Remove 2 screws (M2.5*6L(K)) and take away the memory cover.
4.To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
5.To install the new memory, hold it at a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the module with the notch located in the memory slot.
6. Gently push the module in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the module in place.
7. Make sure the module is firmly in the slot and that's it's not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the module by repeating steps 4 to 6.
8. Replace the memory cover and keyboard by reversing steps 1 to 3 of the "Keyboard Removal Instructions".
You're done! Once you have closed your computer and reattached all the accessories that were connected, it's time to switch it on. No software or settings will need to be changed as the computer detects the memory upgrade automatically.
Latest News Articles
- Future Java 7 security patches will work on Windows XP despite end of official support
- Microsoft to take its 'mobile first, cloud first' mantra to partners
- SAP's Q2: The big questions
- Toshiba Satellite P50t-B 15.6in laptop
- Samsung suspends Chinese supplier over charges of using underage workers
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- 2 Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- 3 Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional
- 4 How do I connect my TV to the Internet?
- 5 How to play DVD movies on your Nintendo Wii
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Notebooks View all »
- 5% off $1699 free shipping
- Tablets View all »
- Mobile Phones View all »
- TVs View all »
- Digital Cameras View all »