Adding memory to old laptops: Dell Inspiron 630M
James Hopkin has worked in the Australian computer industry since 1987. He founded Upgradeable.com in 1999 as an independent online source for computer memory upgrades. From day one the Upgradeable way has been to help computer users easily upgrade their systems.
The Dell Inspiron 630M has the following specifications:
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-4300, 533Mhz, 200-PIN SO-DIMM
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Configuration: 2 Memory Slots
Base Memory (Non-Removable): 0MB
Before you begin the installation, it's worth considering backing up any critical files in the event of a problem occurring. DO NOT install the memory while the computer is in standby or hibernation mode. Ensure that the system is completely powered down.
This is simply done to remove any static electricity from your body so that accidental zaps don't damage your memory modules. While your computer is still plugged into the wall, touch a metal part of your computer. If you leave your computer you will need to ground yourself again. Alternatively, you can invest in an anti-static strap and clip yourself to a grounded piece of metal.
Once the computer is completely shutdown, remove all plugs and the power cable from the computer. As you are upgrading a notebook it is also important to remove the battery.
Always keep the memory modules in their anti-static bag until you are ready to begin the installation. Handle the modules only by the edges and don't touch the gold pins. No tools are required to remove or fit memory modules and using tools can cause damage to the modules.
Memory module DIMM B: located on the base of the notebook.
1. Remove the two screws shown in the picture below, then proceed by removing the memory cover.
2. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
3. To install the new memory upgrade, hold the upgrade on a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the upgrade with the notch located in the memory slot.
4. Gently push the upgrade in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the upgrade in place.
5. Make sure the upgrade is firmly in the slot and is not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the upgrade by repeating steps 2 to 4.
6. Close the memory slot compartment. If you need to access the second memory slot underneath the keyboard please see below, if not you can now replace the battery and any removed accessories. You can now restart your system with the new memory upgrade installed.
Memory Module DIMM A: located underneath the keyboard.
Step 1: removing the hinge cover
Note: The hinge cover is fragile and can be damaged if extreme force is used. Exercise care when removing the hinge cover.
1. Remove the two screws inside the battery bay.
2. Turn the computer over, and then open the display all the way (180 degrees) so that it rests flat on your work surface.
3. Insert a plastic scribe into the indent along the right edge of the hinge cover to pry the hinge cover loose.
4. Moving from right to left, ease the hinge cover up and remove it from the computer.
Step 2: removing the keyboard
Note: The key caps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and time-consuming to replace. Exercise care when removing and handling the keyboard.
1. Insert a plastic scribe or small flat-blade screwdriver near the keyboard retention tab on the left or right side of the palmrest to pry one side of the keyboard loose, then pry the remaining side of the keyboard loose, as necessary.
2. Lift the keyboard and hold it up and slightly forward to allow access to the keyboard connector.
3. Release the latch on the system board connector to disconnect the keyboard cable.
4. The memory slot is concealed beneath a metal memory cover. Loosen the two captive screws securing the memory module cover, then remove the cover and set it aside.
Step 3: installing your memory upgrade
1. To replace an existing memory module, spread both clips on either side of the memory slot to release it. To remove the memory module from the slot, hold it by the edges and slide it out on a 45 degree angle.
2. To install the new memory upgrade, hold the upgrade on a 45 degree angle and align the notch on the upgrade with the notch located in the memory slot.
3. Gently push the upgrade in then down until the clips on both sides click to lock the upgrade in place.
4. Make sure the upgrade is firmly in the slot and is not moving. Otherwise, reinstall the upgrade by repeating steps 2 to 4.
Step 4: replace the keyboard
Note: Before securing the latch on the system board connector, ensure that the keyboard connector is seated and the tabs on the connector are properly aligned with the slots on the system board connector. Failure to align the tabs could result in a malfunction of the computer or damage to the cable and/or the cable connector.
1. Align the tabs on the keyboard connector of the new keybord with the corresponding slots on the system board connector, then press the latch on the system board connector down to lock the keyboard cable into place.
2. Slide the six tabs along the front edge of the keyboard beneath the palm rest.
Note: You may need to push the bottom of the keyboard down slightly to slide the keyboard tabs into place.
3. Gently press down on the left and right sides of the keyboard near the keyboard retention tabs until the keyboard snaps into place.
Step 5: replace the hinge cover
1. Align the tabs along the left edge of the new hinge cover with the corresponding notches in the computer.
2. Moving from left to right, press down until the hinge cover snaps into place.
3. Replace the two screws inside the battery bay to secure the hinge cover.
4. Replace the battery and any removed accessories. You can now restart your system with the new memory upgrade installed.
You're done! Once you have closed your computer and reattached all the accessories that were connected, it's time to switch it on. No software or settings will need to be changed as the computer detects the memory upgrade automatically.
Find more memory upgrades at: www.upgradeable.com.au
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Join the PC World newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- The new BlackBerry has a physical keyboard and will arrive in April
- Uber rejects claims it stole Waymo's self-driving car tech
- Microsoft Store has slashed the Asus ZenBook Flip's price by $200
- Google discloses unpatched IE vulnerability after Patch Tuesday delay
- FCC puts the brakes on ISP privacy rules it just passed in October
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork ArchitectWA
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD