3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator for Notebooks
A lightweight input device for 3-D artists
- Smaller and lighter than standard SpaceNavigator model
- Standard version is better for most 3D artists
The SpaceNavigator for Notebooks is of limited appeal to most 3-D creatives — but if you're in its target market, you may find it invaluable.
Price$ 240.00 (AUD)
3Dconnexion's line of input devices for 3-D suites — which it calls 3-D mice — are tools that aim to make it easier to work in animation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max, LightWave and Cinema 4D than traditional '2-D' mice.
The least expensive model in the range is the TV-quiz-show-buzzer-shaped SpaceNavigator — and 3Dconnexion has now released a smaller version for use alongside laptops for 3-D creatives on the move.
To make this version of the SpaceNavigator truly portable, 3Dconnexion has reduced the original model's weight by half and made it significantly smaller. Though it's light, its solid base stops it sliding across your desk. The device comes with a stressball-sized padded travel case.
In use, the SpaceNavigator for Notebook works the same as its desktop brother — offering the same pan, zoom and rotation controls by tilting, pushing-and-pulling, and twisting the device's central section. This makes navigation around 3-D scenes much easier than using a tradition mouse. There are two buttons on its side that replicate the actions of your mouse buttons.
Most 3D tools are supported by the software — from the major 3-D suites to Photoshop. There are some notable omissions though, including modeller's tools such as Mudbox and ZBrush.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia hits gaming milestone: True desktop performance in a laptop with GeForce GTX 980
- Intel unveils ultra-tiny, fully upgradable '5x5' mini-PC motherboards
- Intel's five main announcements from IDF this week
- Intel's RealSense 3D camera technology is already the star of IDF
- Intel profit falls as PC slump continues
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC