3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator for Notebooks
A lightweight input device for 3-D artists
- Smaller and lighter than standard SpaceNavigator model
- Standard version is better for most 3D artists
The SpaceNavigator for Notebooks is of limited appeal to most 3-D creatives — but if you're in its target market, you may find it invaluable.
Price$ 240.00 (AUD)
3Dconnexion's line of input devices for 3-D suites — which it calls 3-D mice — are tools that aim to make it easier to work in animation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max, LightWave and Cinema 4D than traditional '2-D' mice.
The least expensive model in the range is the TV-quiz-show-buzzer-shaped SpaceNavigator — and 3Dconnexion has now released a smaller version for use alongside laptops for 3-D creatives on the move.
To make this version of the SpaceNavigator truly portable, 3Dconnexion has reduced the original model's weight by half and made it significantly smaller. Though it's light, its solid base stops it sliding across your desk. The device comes with a stressball-sized padded travel case.
In use, the SpaceNavigator for Notebook works the same as its desktop brother — offering the same pan, zoom and rotation controls by tilting, pushing-and-pulling, and twisting the device's central section. This makes navigation around 3-D scenes much easier than using a tradition mouse. There are two buttons on its side that replicate the actions of your mouse buttons.
Most 3D tools are supported by the software — from the major 3-D suites to Photoshop. There are some notable omissions though, including modeller's tools such as Mudbox and ZBrush.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA