AAD S Series
A 5.1 surround sound speaker system that can blast out powerful noise.
- Powerful, lively sound, impressive aesthetics
- Expensive, large
If you have a dedicated home theatre room or have plenty of spare space, the AAD S Series speaker set is a good choice for music or movies.
Price$ 9,182.00 (AUD)
The AAD S Series speaker set is positioned above the entry-level AAD M Series, with a price tag that reflects its premium status. The increase in sound quality is impressive, as is the styling.
The AAD S Series system consists of two floor-standing speakers, two bookshelf speakers, a centre speaker and a subwoofer. The floor-standing models are the S-5 model (at 20kg each they are not easy to move). A 1in tweeter and two 5in woofers give the speakers a frequency response of 35-30,000Hz — making them competent for most music even without an external subwoofer.
The SR-2 bookshelf rear speakers use two sets of tweeters and woofers firing in perpendicular directions to create a wide and immersive soundstage. It is the S160C subwoofer that steals the show though, with a frequency range extending from 160Hz to as low as 23Hz, and offering plenty of adjustability.
The system has a rich wooden finish with accents of matte black plastic. There are no striking design elements or brushed metal, but we appreciate the simple, curved look of the enclosures and think that they would suit a wide variety of décor. With the speaker grills attached they look unobtrusive and will not attract undue attention.
What is worthy of attention, though, is the sound that the AAD S Series speakers produce. We set the system up with a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray disc player and ran through a few of the aerial combat scenes of Pearl Harbour, as well as a few helicopter scenes from The Guardian to check out bass response.
It was immediately evident that the speakers are capable of delivering high levels of low, booming bass without overpowering other frequencies. Mid-range dialogue and movie soundtrack notes are still lively and present — the centre speaker’s mid-range focus means that dialogue is easily heard even in busy scenes. We found treble notes to be slightly recessed, giving the system a bass-rich sound.
Where this system excels is in its headroom and its ability to be powered at high volumes. From the lowest volumes to literally room-shaking levels of power, the AAD S Series speakers maintain their composure and even frequency response — a definite bonus if you listen to your blockbuster movies at cinema volumes.
If you can afford it, the AAD S series 5.1 home theatre speaker system will be sure to put a smile on your face, with clear, warm sound and plenty of power.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTest ManagerWA
- TPTechnical WriterVIC
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCTableau ConsultantVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst - SAS - Immediate Start RequiredNSW
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCProgram ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW