First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Abbyy PDF Transformer 1.0
Price$ None (AUD)
Hard on the heels on ScanSoft PDF Convertor 2.0 comes a rival. PDF Transformer's brief is identical: to take a PDF document, extract its contents and save them in an editable form, preserving the layout and formatting of the original as closely as possible.
PDF Transformer has a few advantages over ScanSoft's offering. It can, for example, save in Excel, HTML and ASCII text as well as Word. Installation is simple enough, but Abbyy programs now feature product activation. The software itself is wizard-based. Simply browse to the PDF you want to convert and PDF Transformer then whirrs away, converting the file into one of the four file formats. It also installs itself as a plug-in for Word, Excel, Outlook and Windows Explorer, so you can perform conversions from inside your main applications.
As with PDF Convertor, Transformer appears to work quite slowly - a 59-page PDF conversion took over 15 minutes on a 1GHz PC, but that's OCR (optical character recognition) for you.
Conversion fidelity is also on a par with its rival - good, but not perfect. But bread-and-butter stuff, such as multicolumn layouts and close font matching, was carried out with aplomb. PDF Transformer carries the same price tag as its rival and offers a similar feature set, with the advantage of a wider range of output formats.
Latest News Articles
- SEC drops probe into Facebook's pre-IPO sales disclosures
- Russian government offers money for identifying Tor users
- EU, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo meet on 'right to be forgotten' but questions remain
- The Pirate Bay makes searching for torrents easier on mobile devices
- Apple faces privacy suit following Chinese TV report
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- 2 Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- 3 Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional
- 4 How do I connect my TV to the Internet?
- 5 How to play DVD movies on your Nintendo Wii
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.