ABC Networks iPhone app
ABC brings its TV and radio line-up to the iPhone.
- Podcast streaming, nice interface, easy to navigate, loads quickly
- Podcasts must be streamed over Wi-Fi, podcasts can't be stored
ABC's iPhone app provides a tailored way to watch, read and listen to news and entertainment on the handset. You can't stream podcasts over 3G, however.
The launch of the ABC's new mobile Web site has been accompanied by the release of applications for the iPhone and Google's Android platform. The iPhone app is a great way to read news and download ABC podcasts, though it has some annoying limitations.
ABC's mobile site has a simple layout that provides you with the news as well as radio and TV schedules. For the most part, the iPhone app fulfils the same functions but offers a more "iPhone-esque" interface, complete with a navigation toolbar at the bottom and an arguably more attractive layout than the mobile Web site.
The navigation bar has links to News, TV and Radio, as well as categories like Sport, Triple J and Movie Reviews. The ABC Shop is also available, but this is little more than a list of the latest products and a national telephone number.
Navigation is fast and easy thanks to the layout, and we had no difficulties when connecting over 3G. News articles are tailored to the iPhone's resolution, making them easy to read. There is an option to send an article link via e-mail to a friend. Radio and TV schedules are categorised into morning, afternoon and evening timeslots.
The ABC Mobile Web site is limited to text and images, but the ABC iPhone app allows you to stream many of the numerous podcasts the ABC makes available, including At the Movies, Media Watch and a host of Triple J radio and Triple J TV audio and video podcasts. The only podcast we couldn't find (and were eager for) was the Gruen Transfer, but considering the TV series has only just resumed broadcasting, this may come later.
Podcasts can't be stored on the iPhone, which is a disappointing but understandable restriction. The one aspect of the app that is frustrating, however, is the inability to stream or download podcasts over cellular data. This is a common restriction placed on large downloads by Apple and other developers, but these restrictions are often lifted for smaller files under 10MB. The ABC podcasts are optimised for the iPhone and many are below 10MB — but even these podcasts are unavailable unless you are using Wi-Fi.
If you need your government-funded news and entertainment while on the go, the ABC iPhone app is definitely the best way of doing this. The ability to read news, see schedules and stream podcasts is great. Searching for "ABC" in the iPhone App Store returns dozens of hits, so finding this app is best done by searching for its full name, "Australian Broadcasting Corporation".
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest ManagerWA
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- FTTelecommunications Services Manager - Voice/Data/UCQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW