ABC Networks iPhone app
ABC brings its TV and radio line-up to the iPhone.
- Podcast streaming, nice interface, easy to navigate, loads quickly
- Podcasts must be streamed over Wi-Fi, podcasts can't be stored
ABC's iPhone app provides a tailored way to watch, read and listen to news and entertainment on the handset. You can't stream podcasts over 3G, however.
The launch of the ABC's new mobile Web site has been accompanied by the release of applications for the iPhone and Google's Android platform. The iPhone app is a great way to read news and download ABC podcasts, though it has some annoying limitations.
ABC's mobile site has a simple layout that provides you with the news as well as radio and TV schedules. For the most part, the iPhone app fulfils the same functions but offers a more "iPhone-esque" interface, complete with a navigation toolbar at the bottom and an arguably more attractive layout than the mobile Web site.
The navigation bar has links to News, TV and Radio, as well as categories like Sport, Triple J and Movie Reviews. The ABC Shop is also available, but this is little more than a list of the latest products and a national telephone number.
Navigation is fast and easy thanks to the layout, and we had no difficulties when connecting over 3G. News articles are tailored to the iPhone's resolution, making them easy to read. There is an option to send an article link via e-mail to a friend. Radio and TV schedules are categorised into morning, afternoon and evening timeslots.
The ABC Mobile Web site is limited to text and images, but the ABC iPhone app allows you to stream many of the numerous podcasts the ABC makes available, including At the Movies, Media Watch and a host of Triple J radio and Triple J TV audio and video podcasts. The only podcast we couldn't find (and were eager for) was the Gruen Transfer, but considering the TV series has only just resumed broadcasting, this may come later.
Podcasts can't be stored on the iPhone, which is a disappointing but understandable restriction. The one aspect of the app that is frustrating, however, is the inability to stream or download podcasts over cellular data. This is a common restriction placed on large downloads by Apple and other developers, but these restrictions are often lifted for smaller files under 10MB. The ABC podcasts are optimised for the iPhone and many are below 10MB — but even these podcasts are unavailable unless you are using Wi-Fi.
If you need your government-funded news and entertainment while on the go, the ABC iPhone app is definitely the best way of doing this. The ability to read news, see schedules and stream podcasts is great. Searching for "ABC" in the iPhone App Store returns dozens of hits, so finding this app is best done by searching for its full name, "Australian Broadcasting Corporation".
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTMobile Studio Manager/ Mobile UX Manager - GAME CHANGER!NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCApplications Support/ DevOps EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst (Mid-level)VIC
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- FTSecurity EngineerACT
- FTTest Analyst - Application TestingACT
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- FTTelecommunications Provisioning LeadQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPReporting AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Solutions Architect - Network & Unified ComunicationsACT
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- CCEngineer/Developer - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTService Delivery AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTWFM Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectNSW