Abit Computer AL8
- Includes RAID diskette, excellence performance, high speed firewire transfer
- Capacitors close to graphics card slot
Rock solid performance and pain-free installation make this board a sweet choice as a new Intel Pentium platform. It's a particularly good board to consider if you use a lot of FireWire devices.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
ABIT thoughtfully includes a floppy disk with RAID drivers in this Intel 945P-based motherboard, which is convenient if you want to install Windows XP on a RAID array. We did just that with this board, using the integrated Intel RAID controller (it also has a two-port Silicon Image RAID controller), and experienced no issues at all during the operating system installation nor during benchmarking. In fact, this board produced excellent scores in all of our tests, especially in the FireWire test, in which it topped nearly all other boards we have looked at.
The design of the board places the PCIe graphics slot just below the memory slots, which means you would have to remove your graphics card to add or remove memory modules. Four capacitors reside very near the PCIe release lever, which could make graphics card removal tricky. There is only one IDE port is on this board as well as a floppy drive port, which is located on the bottom edge of the board and may cause cable routing headaches. Legacy ports are present on the rear connectivity cluster, along with a FireWire port.
The Northbridge has an active cooling device attached to it, which was not noisy, and ABIT's mGuru utility can be used through Windows to control its profile--whether you want it to be running at full-speed or slightly stifled. The package includes IDE and floppy cables, four secure SATA cables as well as a dual-head power cable, and an expansion bracket that connects to the internal USB 2.0 and FireWire ports.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- AMD busts Ryzen performance myths, clearing Windows 10 from blame
- Nvidia supercharges GeForce DirectX 12 performance with new Game Ready driver
- Ryzen works with XMP memory profiles
- Beyond smartphones, Samsung wants its Exynos 9 chip in VR headsets
- Nvidia slashes GeForce GTX 1080 prices, reveals new overclocked memory options
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTChief Architect - Principal ArchitectVIC
- FTUX DesignerNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCPerformance AnalystQLD
- FTETL Informatica DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- FTWeb BA LeadQLD
- CCSolution ManagerSA
- TPAutomation Test AnalystSA
- CCJava/ Guidewire DeveloperQLD
- FTDirector, Centre for Cyber Security SolutionsVIC
- FTSenior Change Readiness ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (BPMN or UML & Agile)QLD
- FTSenior Technical Consultant - Microsoft / VMWareVIC
- TPSystems Analyst - WHS ImplementationNSW
- TPUnix- Technical Support OfficerVIC
- CC.Net Developer - SilverlightVIC
- FTDigital Support ConsultantSA
- FTCyber Security - Technical SpecialistACT
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Designer / ArchitectVIC
- CCProgram ManagerVIC