ACD Systems ACDSee 8 Photo Manager
- Full of functions
- Nothing of note
And anyone grappling with a rapidly growing photo collection will benefit from ACDSee’s streamlined image-processing tools. Even Photoshop users will find this package a useful complement to their favourite photo editor.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
ACDSee 8 Photo Manager builds on the powerful batch-processing functions and adequate image editing tools of version 7.0 and adds others. In fact, two things clearly stood out in the shipping version: its faster interface and its pumped-up photo-archiving capabilities. The latter offers the most compelling reason for current ACDSee users to upgrade.
ACDSee 8's new Burn Basket archiving feature works well. Besides letting you drag and drop files that you want to archive, it enables you to create new folders and to quickly reorganise the photos you are burning to disc.
Another added feature is Sync, which provides an alternate way to back up photos. You define the source and the destination of your files (a network server, an external hard drive, or another connected PC), and specify what the application should do in the event of a file conflict. Though primarily an archiving tool, Sync also helps you avoid storing duplicate files if you use two PCs for photo editing.
A new quick-search bar lets you speedily hunt through keywords, file names, and other fields. To search a photo's metadata, however, you have to use the full-search pane. Meanwhile, the Task Pane provides faster access to key tools such as rotate and resize. You can swiftly tab between the Task Pane and Properties, and drop-down menus permit you to expand or contract the extensive list of tasks. Unfortunately, the Task Pane is not customisable.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCPHP Developer | Network Specialist |VIC
- CCStrategic Planning OfficerACT
- CCContracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTSAP FI/CO module- Tester/ Quality AnalystNSW
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW