ACD Systems ACDSee 8 Photo Manager
- Full of functions
- Nothing of note
And anyone grappling with a rapidly growing photo collection will benefit from ACDSee’s streamlined image-processing tools. Even Photoshop users will find this package a useful complement to their favourite photo editor.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
ACDSee 8 Photo Manager builds on the powerful batch-processing functions and adequate image editing tools of version 7.0 and adds others. In fact, two things clearly stood out in the shipping version: its faster interface and its pumped-up photo-archiving capabilities. The latter offers the most compelling reason for current ACDSee users to upgrade.
ACDSee 8's new Burn Basket archiving feature works well. Besides letting you drag and drop files that you want to archive, it enables you to create new folders and to quickly reorganise the photos you are burning to disc.
Another added feature is Sync, which provides an alternate way to back up photos. You define the source and the destination of your files (a network server, an external hard drive, or another connected PC), and specify what the application should do in the event of a file conflict. Though primarily an archiving tool, Sync also helps you avoid storing duplicate files if you use two PCs for photo editing.
A new quick-search bar lets you speedily hunt through keywords, file names, and other fields. To search a photo's metadata, however, you have to use the full-search pane. Meanwhile, the Task Pane provides faster access to key tools such as rotate and resize. You can swiftly tab between the Task Pane and Properties, and drop-down menus permit you to expand or contract the extensive list of tasks. Unfortunately, the Task Pane is not customisable.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW