Acer Aspire 9504WSMi
- Great all round processing
- Lacking a little graphics power
We couldn't find a weak point - and believe us, we put the Acer through its paces. With a WorldBench score of 90, it'll breeze through most tasks. If you're looking for something powerful with great entertainment potential then look no further than the Acer Aspire 9504WSMi.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
We've seen a few notebooks geared towards home entertainment over the past few months but none so fully featured as the Aspire 9504WSMi from Acer. Okay, it may not have the fastest processor or the best graphics card, but it does have a hybrid TV tuner.
This means it can pick up both digital and analog transmissions. It can't do both at the same time, as it isn't a dual tuner, but it's rare enough to find a notebook with any kind of built-in TV tuner.
As if this wasn't enough, Acer's Arcade software is included. Essentially offering you the same functionality as Windows Media Center, Arcade can be launched from within Windows or can be started up without booting Windows by pressing a button at the front of the unit. There are two remote controls - one fits neatly into the PC Card slot on the left-hand side, while the other, larger, one can be left on your bedside table for watching DVDs when you get home.
And there's a great screen for watching movies on, too - the 17in 1440x900 widescreen gives resonant colours and pinpoint detail, which you'll notice when playing games. The ATI Mobility Radeon X700 might pale in comparison with the GeForce Go 7800s, but it does a good job, delivering a score of 16607 in 3DMark SE 2001.
There's a Bluetooth-enabled VoIP phone, the keyboard is well laid out and there's even a numeric keypad on the left- hand side. For storage and backup, there's a 120GB hard drive and a dual-layer DVD writer.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Android struggling in tablets as Windows 10 2-in-1s come on strong
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTPHP DeveloperACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- CCUser Researcher/Business AnalysisACT
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTWeb User Interface Developer. Work Location - CanberraNSW
- TPSenior Communications EngineerWA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- FTNetwork Security AnalystNSW
- TPSolution ArchitechtSA
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- FTAgile CoachVIC
- TPDigital Platforms ManagerVIC
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk Operators (Part time and Full Time)SA
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- TPSAP BA - Source to PayQLD
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- FTService Desk Consultant - Entry Level / GraduateNSW
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD