Acer Ferrari 4006
- Grunt under the hood
- Slow productivity scores
This Acer notebook is worth considering if you need a 64-bit processor and plan to move to Windows Vista in the near future. The superior build quality is also a plus.
Price$ 3,999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
The Acer Ferrari 4006 has a superior build quality to the manufacturer's other notebook models. It uses carbon fibre for the chassis and a rubberised coating, which gives it an almost leather-like feel.
Under the bonnet is an impressive line-up of hardware. Leading the charge is a 2.2GHz AMD Turion 64 Mobile processor with 1GB DDR333 SDRAM, and a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics processor. This gives the Ferrari plenty of oomph and this showed in its benchmark results. The Ferrari 4006 scored 93 in PC WorldBench 5 and 16539 in 3DMark 2001 SE, which placed it among the top performing single-core Pentium M-based notebooks for business application performance and 3-D capabilities.
Its display offers a widescreen aspect and, despite only being 15.4in, it has a native resolution of 1680x1050. This means icons appear quite small, but there is just so much screen real estate that it is easily capable of displaying two Web browsers, for example, side-by-side.
The $4000 Ferrari illustrates exactly what the Ferrari factor delivers. In our tests it recorded slower scores in productivity tasks and 3-D applications, but its battery life was 20min longer (it reached 266min in MobileMark 2002) than the TravelMate. The inclusion of the 64-bit AMD Turion CPU means you can upgrade to the Windows Vista operating system, when it is released.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Surface Pro 4 on sale at Microsoft's Sydney store on November 12
- Microsoft enters the notebook market with Surface Book
- Hands on: Microsoft's Surface Book is a stunner as both a tablet and a laptop
- Windows 10 device roundup features Lumia smartphones with Display Dock
- As Microsoft focuses on mobile, Windows 10 will be key
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW