- Cheap, Solid picture quality
- Noticeable Rainbow Effect
$1299 is well priced for a projector, and despite the PD100's drawbacks, it performs exceptionally well as an all purpose business projector.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Weighing just 2.17Kgs, the Acer PD100 is a great projector for anyone on the move. Its small form factor (230x238x123 mm), resolution of 1280x1024 and built-in speaker make this an extremely versatile, multi-function unit, but it is definitely not for your home theatre aficionados.
Using the DLP projection system, the PD100 suffers a bit from the "rainbow effect", an artifact that appears as a multi-colour shimmer when watching videos with a lot of motion, or change in focus. Nevertheless, the picture quality is fairly good despite the small amount of "screen door effect" (when fine lines separating the pixels are visible on the projection) at up to 2m distance. The lamp life is rated at 2000 hours with a replacement lamp costing around $399.
The sound produced from the single internal speaker, with a low 2W of power, is merely sufficient. Set to its highest level there is significant distortion. However, it is loud enough and clear enough for an entire room to hear if required. And if you are broadcasting to a whole room, Acer has included a laser pointer on the remote. Acer claims its screen sizes can vary from anywhere between 88cm to 7.75m diagonally, from throw distances of 1.5m to 12m respectively.
Our tests using a mid-range throw of 5m delivered a nice 2.5m display. The projector's image is fairly visible in bright indoor light conditions, but outdoor daylight viewing is not recommended.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Win an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the 2012 PC World Media Usage survey
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC