Acer TravelMate 2304LCi
- Great battery life, very light, relatively cheap
- The price precludes some extras
This inexpensive notebook impressed us with its lightness and battery life, but don't expect a comprehensive set of features.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
Although inexpensive, the TravelMate 2304LCi is characterised by the same stylish corporate folio appearance as Acer's top-level range.
It features a CD writer/DVD player and 802.11b/g wireless networking using Acer's SignalUp antenna, which the company claims improves connection reliability.
The front fascia of the 2304LCi is where you'll find the built-in speakers, power status lights, Wi-Fi switch, audio connections (line-in, microphone and headphone) plus a USB port. The right-hand side of the notebook incorporates two more USB slots, the networking ports and support for one Type II PC Card.
Features are pared back to reduce cost, so don't expect TV-out or FireWire ports, a multiformat photo card reader or high-level graphics capable of playing the latest games. The integrated graphics are basic at best, but get the job done.
After benchmarking the TravelMate 2304LCi, we noted that it just outperformed the comparable ASUS A4L notebook in the PC WorldBench 5 productivity application benchmark, but that the ASUS notebook nudged ahead (albeit with quite low scores) in the 3DMark 2001 graphics test.
Application performance is powered by an Intel Celeron M Processor 350 and 256MB of memory. Although not as powerful as a Pentium processor, the Celeron M (mobile) processor is better than the Celeron D processor for mobility. It helped this notebook achieve a great battery life of 77 minutes in our intensive battery tests. Acer also pre-installs a utility to help you adapt battery life/power settings as needed.
An investment in the TravelMate gets you a notebook that's very light and portable and should be up to the task of helping you take notes at work, university or school, plus burn CDs and watch DVDs when you get home.
The Acer TravelMate 2304LCi's warranty is one year, but there are options to increase this. You return it to base if anything goes wrong, and if you live in a capital city, you're guaranteed a fix within two hours. All up, this is an ideal machine to start your business or school/university year on the right foot.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Facebook's alternative PHP engine attracts Web service providers
- Intel planning thumb-sized PCs for next year
- Uber, facing public backlash, will rethink privacy
- As Moore's Law approaches 50, Intel battling to keep up
- AT&T to pay $23.8 million to settle California dumping complaint
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA