Acer TravelMate 2304LCi
- Great battery life, very light, relatively cheap
- The price precludes some extras
This inexpensive notebook impressed us with its lightness and battery life, but don't expect a comprehensive set of features.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Although inexpensive, the TravelMate 2304LCi is characterised by the same stylish corporate folio appearance as Acer's top-level range.
It features a CD writer/DVD player and 802.11b/g wireless networking using Acer's SignalUp antenna, which the company claims improves connection reliability.
The front fascia of the 2304LCi is where you'll find the built-in speakers, power status lights, Wi-Fi switch, audio connections (line-in, microphone and headphone) plus a USB port. The right-hand side of the notebook incorporates two more USB slots, the networking ports and support for one Type II PC Card.
Features are pared back to reduce cost, so don't expect TV-out or FireWire ports, a multiformat photo card reader or high-level graphics capable of playing the latest games. The integrated graphics are basic at best, but get the job done.
After benchmarking the TravelMate 2304LCi, we noted that it just outperformed the comparable ASUS A4L notebook in the PC WorldBench 5 productivity application benchmark, but that the ASUS notebook nudged ahead (albeit with quite low scores) in the 3DMark 2001 graphics test.
Application performance is powered by an Intel Celeron M Processor 350 and 256MB of memory. Although not as powerful as a Pentium processor, the Celeron M (mobile) processor is better than the Celeron D processor for mobility. It helped this notebook achieve a great battery life of 77 minutes in our intensive battery tests. Acer also pre-installs a utility to help you adapt battery life/power settings as needed.
An investment in the TravelMate gets you a notebook that's very light and portable and should be up to the task of helping you take notes at work, university or school, plus burn CDs and watch DVDs when you get home.
The Acer TravelMate 2304LCi's warranty is one year, but there are options to increase this. You return it to base if anything goes wrong, and if you live in a capital city, you're guaranteed a fix within two hours. All up, this is an ideal machine to start your business or school/university year on the right foot.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Android struggling in tablets as Windows 10 2-in-1s come on strong
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst/Project MangerVIC
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTSolution Architect - StorageVIC
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTTechnology Portfolio Investment AnalystQLD
- FTTest Advert Software EngineerSA
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior System/Network EngineerACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- TPSenior Node.JS DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!NSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- CCNetwork and Cloud SMENSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW