Acer TravelMate 8005LMi
- Great performance and battery life
- One-year RTB warranty
With its high performance, great battery life and extensive multimedia capabilities, the 8005LMi will undoubtedly please those looking for portable performance.
Price$ 3,049.00 (AUD)
High-end performance and great battery life are the main drawcards of this machine. Using a Dothan Pentium M CPU (running at 1.8GHz), the 8005LMi also has 512MB of memory and an 80GB hard drive. This combination of components produced a fine score of 279 in SYSMark 2001, and its 3D performance also turned out to be stellar in our tests thanks to the 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 PRO graphics chip.
Given its great all-round performance, we were pleasantly surprised when our worst-case-scenario battery test yielded a fantastic result of 130 minutes.
The multimedia connoisseur will make good use of the FireWire and USB 2.0 ports of this unit, as well as the 4X DVD burner and dedicated memory card slots. Parallel, serial and PS/2 ports are not provided, but you can purchase a port replicator if they are required.
Rounding out the system are wireless connectivity and a smart card slot. Perhaps the only shortcoming is the warranty, which is one-year return-to-base. Considering the asking price of the notebook, this is relatively brief, even though you do get a two-hour express turnaround.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Dell: Mainstream laptops with wireless charging are still years away
- SSD adoption in laptops exceeds expectations
- Apple will refund you for your iMac hinge repair costs
- MacBook Pro teardown reveals pointless speaker grilles and hard-to-replace Touch Bar
- Apple leads tablet sales, but the iPad Pro is not its best seller
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- CCTelco Program ManagerVIC
- CCCapacity and Performance Analyst - Mainframe - Z SystemsVIC
- TPAnsarada Data Room AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- CCApplication Programmer - Software - Geospatial and Industrial EnterpriseVIC
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- CCProject SchedulerQLD
- CCNetwork Architect / Lead Network EngineerACT
- TPProject Manager - eDRMSQLD
- FTSalesforce Technical Business Analyst (Brisbane based)NSW
- TPSALESFORCE DEVELOPERQLD
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- FTLife/400 Developers / Programmers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- TPWeb DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness and Change Deployment LeadVIC
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- CCData Modeller and Business Analyst - Integration ProjectQLD
- CCWeb Architect - Ruby, Python, Java, Open sourceNSW
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & LendingQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD