Acer TravelMate 8006LMi
- Excellent performance and battery life
- Nothing noteworthy
Now with three years' warranty, the high-performing 8006LMi has nothing to stop it from being an ideal notebook for business or school.
Price$ 4,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
This model features great battery life (110 minutes in a worst-case-scenario) that can be tailored using Acer's ePowerManagement software. It's quite light at just 3kg and it has cutting-edge specifications such as the 2GHz Pentium M processor.
The 8006LMi also features 512MB of 333MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM, a sizeable 80GB 5400rpm hard disk (with under-chassis shock protection), modular (hot swappable) multiformat DVD writer and a 128MB DDR ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics controller providing a maximum resolution of 1400 x 1050 on the 15" display.
The 8006LMi has flexible networking options including built-in 56K modem and Gigabit Ethernet connections. Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11b/g wireless networking and Acer claims its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability.
Ports include VGA-out and DVI connections for external monitors in addition to S-Video TV-out, FireWire and four USB 2.0 slots. There's also a multiformat card reader integrated into the front fascia and support is provided for one Type II/I PC Card, an optional EasyPort Replicator III dock and an Acer SmartCard. Acer's SmartCards are made of plastic, are about the size of a credit card and contain a computer chip. One card is bundled to help you keep up security by limiting access to all sorts of areas from system startup (at the BIOS level) to file encryption.
To Acer's credit, the 8006LMi's warranty has been upgraded to three years (Acer offers only one year on most models). You also get two-hour express turnaround.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
- Why Apple's new MacBook Pro needs more than just one USB-C port
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Process AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - InsuranceVIC
- FTAppian DeveloperVIC
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia