Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi
- Exceptional performance, very good battery life
- Nothing notable
The TravelMate 8104WLMi is a great portable multimedia machine for school or business.
Price$ 4,299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 6 stores)
- Battery For Acer Travelmate 2318wlm,bt.t5007.00... 62.09
- Battery For Acer Travelmate 4001lm,bt.t5007.002... 62.09
- Battery For Acer Travelmate 4001lci,bt.t5007.00... 62.09
Like other recent Acer models, the latest TravelMate, the 8104WLMi, has a stylish corporate folio appearance.
This unit also has the excellent application performance (324 in SYSMark 2001 plus 91 in PC World Bench 5), long battery life (96 minutes in our gruelling battery tests) and low weight (3kg).
The 8006LMi uses Intel's Centrino technology. Acer includes 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM and 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X700 graphics. Its 15.4" screen has a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 in wide-aspect.
The 81040WLMi also includes a sizeable 80GB hard disk (with under-chassis shock protection), modular (hot swappable) multiformat DVD writer and flexible networking options with built-in 56Kbps modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11bg Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Activation and status buttons are located on the front fascia for Bluetooth and certified 802.11bg wireless networking. Acer also claims that its SignalUp antenna technology improves connection reliability.
Ports include VGA-out and DVI connections for external monitors, in addition to S-Video TV-out, FireWire and four USB 2.0 slots. There's also a multiformat card reader (including xD-Picture Card), S/PDIF audio-output, FireWire and an Acer SmartCard slot. You can also purchase an optional EasyPort Replicator III dock.
The 8104WLMi's warranty is three years as standard--you return it to base if anything goes wrong, and if you live in a capital city, you're guaranteed a fix within two hours.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Synology DiskStation DS215j NAS device
- 2 Fitbit Charge wireless activity tracker
- 3 HP Stream 11 laptop
- 4 B&O BeoPlay A2 portable Bluetooth speaker
- 5 Acer Chromebook 11 (CB3-111)
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- NIST pledges transparency in NSA dealings over crypto standards
- North Carolina could be next in Google Fiber roll-out
- Conference calls a waste of time? In 1915, this one made history
- Box rides high on Wall Street’s warm welcome
- China tightens Internet control by blocking VPN services
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.