Acronis ANZ Privacy Expert Suite 8.0
As a standard spyware stopper, Acronis is simple to use - but it isn't exactly revolutionary. The secure deletion facility will be of use to the paranoid or those looking to wipe old hardware before disposing of it, but could be considered overkill for everyday use.
Price$ None (AUD)
Like antivirus and firewall software, spyware protection is an essential tool in the avid internet-surfer's armoury. Like it or not, spend a fair amount of time online and at some point you're going to pick up some spyware - hidden applications that secretly monitor your activities and send them back to the mothership without your permission.
The market is awash with antispyware products, including some solid free offerings. Acronis has attempted to stand out from the crowd by combining file shredding with spyware detection and eradication.
Delete a file in Windows and it may be gone from view, but traces of it remain on your hard drive. The standard delete operation merely marks the area of the disk as free space that can subsequently be used. The data contained in the file will remain until the area is actually used to store something else.
Privacy Expert combats this with eight different methods of wiping the data - from simply overwriting the space with zeros to writing random data to the affected area 35 times. This ensures there's no chance of the information being recovered.
This data-destruction process can be applied to your internet history, system data, application activity, individual files or even entire hard drives. The latter is useful if you intend to sell or give away an old PC or drive.
Spyware detection consists of the standard system scan, which looks for any programs already installed, combined with monitoring to prevent new ones climbing onboard. A year's worth of spyware updates is included. Further cover costs more, although at this stage it isn't clear how much.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- How to restore missing desktop icons on Windows
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
- You can finally watch Netflix offline now
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Security AnalystACT
- CCJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGNSW
- CCSenior Project AnalystNSW
- CCTesting and Support Services ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Financial MarketsNSW
- TPJava Developer - ContractQLD
- FTTechnology Solutions Architect - CloudNSW
- CCCloud Automation Engineer. Work Location - CanberraVIC
- FTWeb Developer/ DesignerACT
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTiOS Developer - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTMigration ArchitectSA
- CCHadoop DeveloperSA
- TPProject Coordinator. Business Process Improvement ProgramNSW
- CCUser Interface(UI) DeveloperVIC
- FTPractice AdvisorACT
- CCExecutive AssistantACT
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTSENIOR DEVELOPERQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- TPJava Developer - ContractQLD
- CCElectronic Medications Management Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTOracle IDM R1/R2 Implementation SpecialistNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst / Solutions Design - LogisticsNSW