ActiveState Komodo 5.0
King of the dynamic IDEs.
- New code formatting tools, performance issues have been addressed, feature rich
- Lacks a GUI toolkit, could do a better job with the developer aids, ActiveState's PPM is still not supported on 64-bit installs
If you're in need of an IDE that can flexibly bridge multiple languages, support distributed teams with ease, and ultimately improve code quality and streamline development cycles, you'll want to take a close look at Komodo 5.
Price$ 295.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
On the minus side, Komodo lacks a GUI toolkit. ActiveState used to include GUI construction for Tcl, but the tools for GUI development have been withdrawn.
ActiveState could also do a better job with the developer aids. A good number of sample project templates and code snippets are provided for each of the supported languages, but most offer little more than basic skeletons. More functional code samples would be warmly welcomed.
Finally, ActiveState's PPM (Perl Package Manager) — which facilitates module management and updates in the company's Perl distributions — is still not supported on 64-bit installs. I'm hopeful this gets resolved sooner rather than later.
But Komodo's shortcomings are greatly overshadowed by its advantages. If you're in need of an IDE that can flexibly bridge multiple languages, support distributed teams with ease, and ultimately improve code quality and streamline development cycles, you'll want to take a close look at Komodo 5. An extremely flexible licensing scheme, allowing developers to run Komodo concurrently on all supported platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux) from a single license, only sweetens the deal.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- IDC: Smartwatch sales decline for the first time
- Consumer Office 365 subscription growth slows
- Google's DeepMind A.I. can slash data center power use 40%
- Chinese $1.2B deal for Opera crumples
- How to build a strong employee referral culture
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCFrontend DevelopersQLD
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- FTProject Manager- Change ManagementSA
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- FTSoftware Tester | Innovation | Business FacingNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Asset ManagementNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA