Launching version 11.5 of Adobe Director at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind
- H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound, real-time audio mixing and effects, RTMP-based streaming, Sketchup 3D content, ByteArray data type, productivity enhancements.
Embedded Flash, native H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound and real-time audio mixing and effects will provide a lot of oomph to your projects. Shockwave penetration and RTMP-based streaming keeps Director valid in the Web market, but in the gaming arena there are now strong contenders to this old warhorse.
Price$ 2,019.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Director, Adobe’s tool for creating interactive content, for both online and standalone applications, gains several key features with version 11.5. High-def has arrived for Director and the Shockwave player, in the form of support for H.264 video.
You can now provide full-screen, high-definition video in multimedia applications and games authored in Director – MP4, F4V, and FLV file formats are now natively supported. In another worthy enhancement, bitmap filters (blur, drop shadow, glow etc) can now be applied to video.
Launching version 11.5 at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind. Particularly interesting to game developers is an update to the PhysX engine, adding support for dynamic concave rigid bodies, a feature previously offered by the Havok physics engine. However, there is strong competition from other game-development tools, particularly Unity (which can create for platforms such iPhone or Wii) and Torque Game Engine Advanced, both of which offer highly respected 3D capabilities.
Director 11.5’s audio options have been thoroughly overhauled: there’s now audio mixing, including support for 16-channel audio with 5.1 surround sound. It’s easy to add a real-time audio mixer object, a container that places multiple sound objects into a single audio file. You simply add a mixer to a movie and import sound objects.
Director also offers media synchronisation features, letting you synchronise events in a movie to precise cue points embedded in digital video. One such scenario is streaming audio or video online, using the RTMP protocol. You direct the filename of the MP4/FLV member to a valid target on a Flash Media Server, and streaming begins when you put this member on the Stage. Director can embed any Flash movie from version 2 and supports the features of Flash 9. However, movies with components using AS3 or Flex components will still not work as intended in Director.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCWindows EngineerVIC