Launching version 11.5 of Adobe Director at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind
- H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound, real-time audio mixing and effects, RTMP-based streaming, Sketchup 3D content, ByteArray data type, productivity enhancements.
Embedded Flash, native H.264 video, 5.1 channel surround sound and real-time audio mixing and effects will provide a lot of oomph to your projects. Shockwave penetration and RTMP-based streaming keeps Director valid in the Web market, but in the gaming arena there are now strong contenders to this old warhorse.
Price$ 2,019.00 (AUD)
Director, Adobe’s tool for creating interactive content, for both online and standalone applications, gains several key features with version 11.5. High-def has arrived for Director and the Shockwave player, in the form of support for H.264 video.
You can now provide full-screen, high-definition video in multimedia applications and games authored in Director – MP4, F4V, and FLV file formats are now natively supported. In another worthy enhancement, bitmap filters (blur, drop shadow, glow etc) can now be applied to video.
Launching version 11.5 at the Games Developers Conference, Adobe has an obvious market in mind. Particularly interesting to game developers is an update to the PhysX engine, adding support for dynamic concave rigid bodies, a feature previously offered by the Havok physics engine. However, there is strong competition from other game-development tools, particularly Unity (which can create for platforms such iPhone or Wii) and Torque Game Engine Advanced, both of which offer highly respected 3D capabilities.
Director 11.5’s audio options have been thoroughly overhauled: there’s now audio mixing, including support for 16-channel audio with 5.1 surround sound. It’s easy to add a real-time audio mixer object, a container that places multiple sound objects into a single audio file. You simply add a mixer to a movie and import sound objects.
Director also offers media synchronisation features, letting you synchronise events in a movie to precise cue points embedded in digital video. One such scenario is streaming audio or video online, using the RTMP protocol. You direct the filename of the MP4/FLV member to a valid target on a Flash Media Server, and streaming begins when you put this member on the Stage. Director can embed any Flash movie from version 2 and supports the features of Flash 9. However, movies with components using AS3 or Flex components will still not work as intended in Director.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCEnterprise Application ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT