Adobe Systems Premiere Elements 2
- Powerful editing
- Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Premiere Elements 1.0 was a great first effort from Adobe. However the embarrassment of riches it had to draw on for its first serious foray into the entry level video editing market, namely the powerful and professional Premiere Pro, may have led to problems in determining how much hand holding the first time video editor needed.
As it turned out, the first time video editor needed a lot more hand holding than what was provided in Premiere Elements 1.0. Adobe Premiere 2.0 has rectified this issue of assuming too much within the interface and workflow, providing stronger task based processes and a better help structure, much in the same way as Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 has developed on the home photo editing front.
However the good news for more experienced video users is that it is quite easy to interrupt the task process and add your own personal touch to a project, while not disrupting the workflow.
By default, Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 breaks the video making experience into a series of task based actions, whereby you capture video, work with your video and export the final movie ready for your audience.
Therefore, Premiere Elements 2.0 makes no demands on the user to fully understand the finer points of editing video if that's how the user wants to work. At the top right of the screen is a section showing capture, edit, titles and DVD. If you work through this section in the correct order, you should end up with a finished movie at the other end. The left side of the screen provides access to the Media downloader and the Export tab, to output your video project to anything from a DVD to a mobile phone.
When it comes to downloading video, or anything for that matter, Premiere Elements 2.0 is remarkably agnostic - the Media Downloader handls everything from MPEG4 video from tapeless camcorder to MPEG-2 from a first generation DVD camcorder with ease. Of course the normal DV camcorder transfer processes are supported, with IEEE 1394/Firewire support as well as USB/USB 2 support. Basically, if you can hook it up to a PC and download it, Elements 2.0 will let you put it on the timeline.
Keeping everything in its native file format is also a big time saver when it comes to the final render and output stage. Preview the edited footage on a TV straight off the timeline to make sure the resolution and colours are accurate and you're ready to make your first DVD. Select a DVD template, establish the appropriate links, write your titles and pick the background music. Finally, put a blank DVD into your PC's DVD recorder and create some movie magic.
A bundling option is available where you get Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0 for $245, which is probably one of the best photo/video deals available at the moment. Adobe's second effort at a video creation solution for the non-professional is commendable and will satisfy the camcorder user wanting to make DVD movies that are fun to make and entertaining to watch.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTTIBCO Support AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTTraining Lead | Up to $800 per dayVIC
- TPFull Stack Developer - Cutting-edge technologiesQLD
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- FTLead DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTTechnical LeadVIC
- TPSAP Supply Lead - MM/LogisticsQLD
- FTRegional Market Manager - Wide Bay RegionQLD
- CCSenior UNIX AdministratorNSW
- FTTechnical Architect - Network /InfrastructureQLD
- TPStrategic Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTIT Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTTelecommunications Installation ManagerSA
- CCPeoplesoft ConsultantNSW
- FTProject ManagerQLD
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD