Adobe Systems Premiere Elements 2
- Powerful editing
- Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Premiere Elements 1.0 was a great first effort from Adobe. However the embarrassment of riches it had to draw on for its first serious foray into the entry level video editing market, namely the powerful and professional Premiere Pro, may have led to problems in determining how much hand holding the first time video editor needed.
As it turned out, the first time video editor needed a lot more hand holding than what was provided in Premiere Elements 1.0. Adobe Premiere 2.0 has rectified this issue of assuming too much within the interface and workflow, providing stronger task based processes and a better help structure, much in the same way as Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 has developed on the home photo editing front.
However the good news for more experienced video users is that it is quite easy to interrupt the task process and add your own personal touch to a project, while not disrupting the workflow.
By default, Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 breaks the video making experience into a series of task based actions, whereby you capture video, work with your video and export the final movie ready for your audience.
Therefore, Premiere Elements 2.0 makes no demands on the user to fully understand the finer points of editing video if that's how the user wants to work. At the top right of the screen is a section showing capture, edit, titles and DVD. If you work through this section in the correct order, you should end up with a finished movie at the other end. The left side of the screen provides access to the Media downloader and the Export tab, to output your video project to anything from a DVD to a mobile phone.
When it comes to downloading video, or anything for that matter, Premiere Elements 2.0 is remarkably agnostic - the Media Downloader handls everything from MPEG4 video from tapeless camcorder to MPEG-2 from a first generation DVD camcorder with ease. Of course the normal DV camcorder transfer processes are supported, with IEEE 1394/Firewire support as well as USB/USB 2 support. Basically, if you can hook it up to a PC and download it, Elements 2.0 will let you put it on the timeline.
Keeping everything in its native file format is also a big time saver when it comes to the final render and output stage. Preview the edited footage on a TV straight off the timeline to make sure the resolution and colours are accurate and you're ready to make your first DVD. Select a DVD template, establish the appropriate links, write your titles and pick the background music. Finally, put a blank DVD into your PC's DVD recorder and create some movie magic.
A bundling option is available where you get Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0 for $245, which is probably one of the best photo/video deals available at the moment. Adobe's second effort at a video creation solution for the non-professional is commendable and will satisfy the camcorder user wanting to make DVD movies that are fun to make and entertaining to watch.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Snapchat just got way easier to use thanks to a new search bar
- Microsoft is retiring the Blue Screen of Death for some users
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
- Google's Trusted Contacts pings your loved ones when you need them most
- Chrome 55 pushes Flash into the background
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTSystems Engineer - SCCM & Lync/Skype for BusinessQLD
- FTSecurity System EngineerSA
- TPProject CoordintorVIC
- FTFull Stack PHP DevelopersQLD
- CCIT Support AnalystVIC
- CCData Modeller and Business Analyst - Integration ProjectQLD
- CCSenior Transition and Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant-Baseline Clearance RequiredNSW
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperNSW
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- TPSenior Business Analyst - Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- TPService Deliver ManagerQLD
- FTTechnical Account ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXACT
- CCProject AdministratorSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementVIC
- TPJunior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TPWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantVIC
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)NSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTApplications Sales ExecutiveWA