Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
Adobe's updated version of Premiere Pro CS5 offers new, cutting-edge features for professional video editors
- Native 64-bit application; Mercury Playback Engine and GPU-acceleration; integrated script-to-screen workflow; interoperability with competing formats; extended camera support; editing enhancements; Encore, Media Encoder and OnLocation bundled
- Powerful Mac Pro and third-party hardware required for Mercury Playback Engine
Creative Suite aficionados have been waiting patiently for the 64-bit support in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. But if you really want to speed up your video work flow, you may need to upgrade your hardware kit and spring for an expensive graphics card.
Price$ 1,333.00 (AUD)
Adobe is aiming high with the newly native 64-bit Premiere CS5, offering a range of cutting-edge features for the professional video market. First among these is the GPU-accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine (MPE). This allows you to open and work with HD and higher-resolution sequences in real time, enjoy smooth scrubbing and play back complex projects without rendering.
One downside is that MPE can only run on Adobe-certified Nvidia CUDA graphics cards; another is that GPU acceleration is only supported on Snow Leopard. We tested this facility on a suitably souped-up machine and the effects were impressive, with speedy application of multiple effects like colour corrections, Gaussian Blur and blend modes, plus scrubbing through footage with no performance degradation.
Given the very high standard of kit used in professional editing, this feature will win many admirers, but if your Mac doesn’t quite make the grade, MPE can adjust the playback resolution of your video in the Source Monitor or Program Monitor. With high-resolution footage such as RED 4K, you can set playback resolution from 1/2 to 1/16 for smooth viewing. Setting Pause resolution to Full lets you quickly check the quality of focus or edge details – particularly useful when you don’t have the luxury of an on-set HD monitor.
Also new in Premiere Pro is native support for file-based video formats such as Sony XDCAM HD 50, Panasonic AVCCAM and AVC-Intra, as well as DPX file import/export for editing with 10-bit, uncompressed digital intermediate files. DPX export lets you output 4K content directly from Premiere Pro without having to go through After Effects. Native support for RED R3D files has also been enhanced, with a new Source Settings dialog box offering non-destructive adjustment and control over the look of RED Raw footage.
Native support for video shot with Canon, Nikon, and other DSLR cameras has also been added, so that you can take advantage of full-frame 1,920 x 1,080 or 1,280 x 720 HD video shot on standard 35mm lenses. Premiere Pro also continues support for variants of Panasonic P2, Sony XDCAM, XDCAM EX, and XDCAM HD, HDV and AVCHD. And Premiere still lets you combine a wide range of sources with different resolutions, frame rates, and aspect ratios in a single sequence without complex format conversions. For example, if you drop a RED R3D clip into an HD sequence, the clip will be automatically cropped to the HD frame size.
The new Go To Gap command also helps make editing more productive, as it can quickly find and remove gaps of at least one frame long on a single video track or on all the video tracks in a sequence. Two new keyboard shortcuts let you extend the length of clips on a timeline to the current position of the Current Time Indicator, which is useful for filling gaps before or after edits in the timeline.
Interoperability between Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer means that not only can you import, convert and edit files from these applications, you can also send them to After Effects or Encore via Dynamic Link, and export your projects as a Final Cut Pro XML file or AAF/OMF files for use in Avid editing software.
Green-screen keyer Ultra has been fully integrated into Premiere Pro, while the 64-bit Media Encoder and OnLocation are bundled applications. Premiere Pro also ships with Encore, which can now create searchable, interactive SWF files known as web DVDs. A new multi-page menu function can offer multiple menu-page options to end users without interrupting the playback of audio and video background elements on Blu-ray discs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Life 400 DeveloperNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCMultiple System Engineers - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- CCDemand/ Resource AnalystVIC
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- TPSQL DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT