Adobe Systems Version Cue CS4
Version Cue is now much less visible to users of individual CS4 programs, but better for it.
- An end to the 'parallel universe' of dialogue boxes
- Nothing of note
This simpler approach definitely takes Version Cue out of the way, while keeping its capabilities available when desired. The biggest change is having to switch to Bridge to create projects, manage their file sets, and "promote" older versions over more recent changes — you no longer do such actions in the individual CS4 programs. Administering your virtual servers — the project sets, and the access controls for the — remain in essence the same as in previous versions.
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
Two editions of Creative Suite ago, Adobe introduced a confusing technology called Version Cue that promised to do two things: let you track and manage versions of your files so you could revert to earlier versions if desired, and provide a shared workspace for all participants in a project to work on the files.
Adobe Version Cue CS4 is included in the following Creative Suite 4 editions: Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Standard; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Standard; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection.
Before CS4, if the Version Cue feature was enabled, Creative Suite applications had a second set of Open and Save dialogue boxes meant to provide a unified experience across Windows and Macintosh, but one that didn't work like the rest of your application's Open and Save dialogue boxes.
In Creative Suite 4, that parallel universe of dialogue boxes is gone. Version Cue is now much less visible to users of individual CS4 programs. Now, Adobe Bridge is where you manage Version Cue projects, creating virtual servers that appear on the Mac and Windows desktops like any other network drive.
In programs such as Photoshop and InDesign, you simply open Version Cue files from those network drives, and the programs understand that you are working in the Version Cue environment. That means the applications' commands to check files in and out become available, and when you save your work by checking the files back in, the programs create a new version of the file, not replace the original.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
- Reports: EU taking first step towards breaking up Google
- US man sentenced for hacking POS systems at Subway
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC