Avast Antivirus Home Edition
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition provides solid antimalware protection and a good set of features, but its outdated interface needs a makeover
- Capable malware detection, fast scan speed
- Outdated and confusing interface
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition will do a decent job protecting a PC from malware, and it's free, but if you're willing to put up with a less-than-perfect interface (and some ads), you're better off going with Avira's top-notch blocking.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, developed in the Czech Republic, offers capable malware detection and faster-than-average scan speed, both of which helped propel the app to the number two spot in our rankings of free antivirus software. Its clunky interface badly needs updating, however.
In AV-Test.org malware-detection tests, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition blocked a respectable 98.2 percent of samples out of a malware "zoo" consisting of about a half-million files. That wasn't enough for Avast to top the best performer, Avira Antivir Personal, but it's still a good showing.
Avast didn't do quite as well in proactive-detection tests, which simulate how well a program would fare against new and unknown malware. Its catch rates of 46.1 percent (two-week-old signatures) and 41 percent (four-week-old signatures) put it in fourth place.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition was relatively nimble at on-demand scans (which you start manually) and on-access scans (which occur automatically when you save or use a file), placing second in each test (behind Avira in both cases). It issued just one false positive (labeling harmless software as malicious).
In disinfection, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition nearly matched the top free performers, detecting and disabling 90 percent of the rootkits used in our tests. All three apps, however, also left behind Registry entries and failed to reverse all of the changes that the malware had made.
While Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition does well as a malware blocker and remover, it fares poorly as a program that people have to interact with. Its outdated interface has sections that look entirely different depending on whether you're running a scan, checking status, or changing settings.
The scanning interface mimics a music player, but you probably won't be singing its praises. Be sure to read the how-to guide that pops up the first time you use Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, unless you enjoy scratching your head and growling at your monitor.
The Avast product is the only free antivirus software we've tested recently that requires you to register within 60 days to receive a free licence key. It's also the only app that scans web traffic for malware (AVG 8.5 Free's LinkScanner scans web traffic for the attacks that can presage malware, but not for the malware itself), and it scans email traffic as well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
- Chinese hackers go after third-party IT suppliers to steal data
- Intel divests McAfee after rough marriage, will now secure hardware
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTMarket Data Analyst, Investment BankingNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- FTCitrix Engineer/Designer - AWS experience essentialNSW
- FTDesktop Support/ Field Services EngineerQLD
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTAsst. Director - Claim Analysis. Work Location - CanberraACT
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- CCOIM-IAM Environment ManagerVIC
- FTIT Test ManagerNSW
- CCArchitect/Senior Capacity Planner Network Engineering - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTData Analyst - Tableau and Power BI suiteNSW
- CCProject Manager - Security - TelcoVIC
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPSenior SQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTFront End Web DeveloperACT
- FTPMO Lead, Project Delivery PracticeNSW
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior IT Domain SpecialistVIC
- CCCommercial ManagerVIC
- FTFront End .Net Developer. Permanent jobACT
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Infrastructure - NV1 ClearanceACT
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW