Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is an affordable iPod dock with an interesting design.
- Good sound quality, low price, interesting design, good iPod menu control with remote control
- Pig-like design may not appeal to everyone, upper treble notes sound slightly tinny, slight distortion at high volumes
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a pig-like design that not everyone will like, but its sound quality is excellent considering its price.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
It's rare that we can call something a pig and mean it in a good way, but that's the case with the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy: an interesting iPod dock with a bacon-based design that delivers high quality audio.
It is not difficult to work out why it is called the iPig iPod Buddy. Two touch-sensitive ears that control the volume sit above a pair of resonator chambers, with two tweeters doubling as eyes. Four stubby legs are tipped with rubber to prevent slipping and the mouth lights up every time you use the included remote. And just to make sure you have no lingering doubts, Amethyst has thrown in a purely cosmetic snout.
Just like a real pig, the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy feels very solid. The build quality is good and the pig doesn't scratch easily, although the lack of hand grips means you need to be careful when moving your new porcine friend.
The iPod dock sits at the top of the device and is suitable for all types of iPods with a dock port connector. An auxiliary input is also available for connecting other devices.
iPod menu control is easy thanks to the included remote control, which has easy to use buttons.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is a solid performer when it comes to audio. The 15W subwoofer produces rich bass with strong resonance. In our testing, it handled the deep bass line of AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's" very well. This is helped by the resonator chambers that enhance the lower frequencies.
The 4W tweeters provide plenty of volume but upper treble is a little tinny. The speakers are capable of pumping out quite loud audio, but there is some noticeable distortion at high levels. Mid-range comes through with good clarity; piano notes were warm and well defined.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a novel design but is also an excellent device in its own right, offering good iPod menu control, great audio and a low price point.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on with the Samsung NX1 camera
- Symantec identifies sophisticated, stealthy 'Regin' malware
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA