Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is an affordable iPod dock with an interesting design.
- Good sound quality, low price, interesting design, good iPod menu control with remote control
- Pig-like design may not appeal to everyone, upper treble notes sound slightly tinny, slight distortion at high volumes
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a pig-like design that not everyone will like, but its sound quality is excellent considering its price.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
It's rare that we can call something a pig and mean it in a good way, but that's the case with the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy: an interesting iPod dock with a bacon-based design that delivers high quality audio.
It is not difficult to work out why it is called the iPig iPod Buddy. Two touch-sensitive ears that control the volume sit above a pair of resonator chambers, with two tweeters doubling as eyes. Four stubby legs are tipped with rubber to prevent slipping and the mouth lights up every time you use the included remote. And just to make sure you have no lingering doubts, Amethyst has thrown in a purely cosmetic snout.
Just like a real pig, the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy feels very solid. The build quality is good and the pig doesn't scratch easily, although the lack of hand grips means you need to be careful when moving your new porcine friend.
The iPod dock sits at the top of the device and is suitable for all types of iPods with a dock port connector. An auxiliary input is also available for connecting other devices.
iPod menu control is easy thanks to the included remote control, which has easy to use buttons.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is a solid performer when it comes to audio. The 15W subwoofer produces rich bass with strong resonance. In our testing, it handled the deep bass line of AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's" very well. This is helped by the resonator chambers that enhance the lower frequencies.
The 4W tweeters provide plenty of volume but upper treble is a little tinny. The speakers are capable of pumping out quite loud audio, but there is some noticeable distortion at high levels. Mid-range comes through with good clarity; piano notes were warm and well defined.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a novel design but is also an excellent device in its own right, offering good iPod menu control, great audio and a low price point.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD