Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is an affordable iPod dock with an interesting design.
- Good sound quality, low price, interesting design, good iPod menu control with remote control
- Pig-like design may not appeal to everyone, upper treble notes sound slightly tinny, slight distortion at high volumes
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a pig-like design that not everyone will like, but its sound quality is excellent considering its price.
Price$ 139.00 (AUD)
It's rare that we can call something a pig and mean it in a good way, but that's the case with the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy: an interesting iPod dock with a bacon-based design that delivers high quality audio.
It is not difficult to work out why it is called the iPig iPod Buddy. Two touch-sensitive ears that control the volume sit above a pair of resonator chambers, with two tweeters doubling as eyes. Four stubby legs are tipped with rubber to prevent slipping and the mouth lights up every time you use the included remote. And just to make sure you have no lingering doubts, Amethyst has thrown in a purely cosmetic snout.
Just like a real pig, the Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy feels very solid. The build quality is good and the pig doesn't scratch easily, although the lack of hand grips means you need to be careful when moving your new porcine friend.
The iPod dock sits at the top of the device and is suitable for all types of iPods with a dock port connector. An auxiliary input is also available for connecting other devices.
iPod menu control is easy thanks to the included remote control, which has easy to use buttons.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy is a solid performer when it comes to audio. The 15W subwoofer produces rich bass with strong resonance. In our testing, it handled the deep bass line of AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's" very well. This is helped by the resonator chambers that enhance the lower frequencies.
The 4W tweeters provide plenty of volume but upper treble is a little tinny. The speakers are capable of pumping out quite loud audio, but there is some noticeable distortion at high levels. Mid-range comes through with good clarity; piano notes were warm and well defined.
The Amethyst iPig iPod Buddy has a novel design but is also an excellent device in its own right, offering good iPod menu control, great audio and a low price point.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- FTIntegrations DeveloperWA
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTAPS 6/EL 1 - IBM TSM AdministratorACT
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCCyber Security Strategy AnalystVIC
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- CCLevel 2 IT Service Desk OfficerQLD