Anthology Solutions Yellow Machine P400T
- Unique design
- A little slow for file transfers
This is a convenient network backup device that we think is well-suited for small and home office environments. We didn't have any problems using it, although we do wish it had a gigabit Ethernet controller for zippier file transfers.
Price$ 2,295.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
- WashSmart WA70T60GW1 7kg Top Load Washing Machine 749.00
- WashSmart WA80T65GW1 8kg Top Load Washing Machine 864.00
- 8kg Top Load Fisher & Paykel Washing Machine WA... 1019.00
For a small business with a handful of computer systems to look after, serious network attached storage (NAS) backup solutions may not be a high priority due to their cost and the implementation expertise required.
For less than $2300, Anthology Solutions' Yellow Machine P400T Server offers 1 terabyte of storage, and it simply plugs into any DHCP-enabled network and shows up as just another drive on the network.
To facilitate backups, it ships with EMC Retrospect software, which can be installed in client and host mode. You can install the client software on all the machines in your network and then control those clients from a host computer running the full version of Retrospect. Backups can be scheduled for each individual client on your network, or they can be initiated manually from the host computer to store a copy of their data on the Yellow Machine. This method of backing up and restoring files worked flawlessly in our tests, although it was slow over a 10/100 connection as we piled on the test data. Physically, the Yellow Machine looks like a tiny, bright yellow, tower PC and it has status lights on the front to inform you of any drive failures. On the inside, four IDE drives are connected in a RAID 0 configuration, for maximum capacity.
The machine also supports RAID levels 1, 1+0, 5 and JBOD and it has a built-in 8-port switch (it does not have a built-in DHCP server), Dynamic DNS support, FTP and VPN services. A WAN port facilitates a direct Internet connection through an ADSL or cable modem.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
- Intel's Skylake chips to appear in tablets, PCs, servers
- SanDisk pushes MicroSD to 200GB
- Samsung promises yet another fix for slowed 840 EVO SSDs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC