App review: Any.Do for Android
Any.DO for Android is a simple, clean and very well designed to-do list manager
- Attractive, clean UI
- Both simple and advanced features
- Syncs across multiple devices
- No option to set a recurring task
- Vague advanced option icons
- No black widgets
There are plenty of to-do list apps available in the Android Market, but none of them are as simple or intuitive as Any.DO. It could be improved with the ability to set recurring tasks, however, and some of the advanced options could be better identified.
Any.DO for Android is a simple, clean and very well designed to-do list manager. It's the first app of its kind of Android that I haven't uninstalled after a day and best of all, it's completely free.
As a journalist, I consider myself fairly organised so an effective to-do list is one of my most used smartphone apps. Apple's iOS platform boasts a handy built-in reminders app which I make regular use of when I'm using an iPhone, but I've always found Android lacking in this area. There are plenty of to-do list apps available in the Android Market, but none of them are as simple or intuitive as Any.DO.
Any.DO manages to offer plenty of features without hindering its clean and minimalist UI. This intuitive design is highlighted by the "I want to..." text box at the top of the app. Type your reminder into that box and you can then choose to add it to your to do list, configure a reminder or share it. A reminder can be quickly set to today, tomorrow, this week or next week, while you can also use the calendar to select a date and time that's further down the track.
The auto-complete feature in Any.DO is a handy addition. As you begin typing, it immediately begins to suggest options. If you start typing a name that's in your contacts list, it will suggest that person's name. You can also use Google's built-in voice recognition to enter tasks and while it's not completely error free, we came away impressed with the general accuracy.
A simple list format shows all of your entered reminders and you can drag and drop each reminder, or choose to place them in folders rather than times. If you tap on a task you can set more advanced options, like priority level, folders and notes. Annoyingly, there's no option to set a recurring task such as daily, weekly or monthly.
Sharing a task sends a contact an email that invites them to download Any.DO. The icons for these settings are a little vague though, so we'd have appreciated a text description to avoid confusion.
The Any.DO app comes with five home screen widgets at various sizes, but it's a shame they are only available in white. The app itself allows users to choose from black and white background themes. We found the shake to clear done tasks feature hit and miss.
Creating an Any.DO account through Facebook or using an email address means you can save and syncronise your tasks across multiple devices. There's also a very handy Google Chrome extension that allows you to access tasks through the browser and the company says a generic web app is "coming soon".
Requirements: Android 2.1 and up
Reviewed on: HTC One SV
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSQL Server BI DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTBusiness Development Executive - Queensland Public SectorQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPJava DeveloperVIC