Anyplace Control Anyplace Control
- Simple setup, trial account option
- It's slow, you can't output to a printer connected to the local PC or hear the target PC's system audio
Anyplace Control will be suitable for occasional users who find themselves in a squeeze and don't want to spend too much on a service.
Price$ 49.50 (AUD)
The Anyplace Control remote access software works only after it has been installed on both the target PC and the system on which you wish to access it.
Anyplace Control is more simple than most setups, however, and there's no need to provide your credit-card details to create a trial account. An access code, username and password control entry to the target PC.
Anyplace Control allowed us to open programs and documents fairly easily, but the program was considerably slower than other remote-access services we have tried.
Regardless of when we ran our tests we found a noticeable delay between clicking an item on our target PC and it becoming visible on the local machine. On-screen information is another concern. Anyplace Control cunningly displays the desktop wallpaper of your target PC, but when we tested this the image was blurred.
We followed Anyplace Control's recommendation to remove this and successfully speeded up access to the desktop and the opening of files. However, the transfer time for an 18MB file between PCs was still pretty sluggish at 13 minutes.
Anyplace Control offers either a Full Control or a View Only service. The latter allows files to be transferred and the contents of the clipboard to be copied to the local PC.
While Anyplace Control offers the familiar Ctrl, Alt, Del key sequence to reboot a hanging remote system, you can't output to a printer connected to the local PC or hear the target PC's system audio.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC