Apple iMac (24in)
- Sleek, all-in-one design, improved screen quality
- All-in-one design limits expansion
As appealing as the new iMac is, with the Leopard operating system coming this month, I'd recommend holding off. If you do, you'll get the new OS preinstalled.
Price$ 2,599.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
The 24in iMac is the big boy of Apple's all-in-one desktop line. Despite a new design and upgraded specs, it constitutes a modest update. But this striking system will surely make you look twice.
We tested the retail-store configuration of the 24in iMac: priced at $2599, it comes with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 processor, 1GB of memory, a 320GB Serial ATA drive, an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card with 256MB of GDDR3 memory, and a slot-loading DVD burner.
The PC World Test Centre used Apple Boot Camp 1.4 to load Windows Vista Home Premium onto the iMac. On our WorldBench 6 Beta 2 test suite, the unit turned in a score of 82; that's about 20 per cent behind the average power desktop PC score of 103, but still swift. (This model's high price dictates that we match it against power systems.)
As for looks, this iteration of the iMac dispenses with the kludgy plastic chassis of the earlier iMac line in favour of a sleek anodised aluminium one. Image quality on the 1920x1200-pixel-resolution, glossy glass-covered display is significantly better than before as well, thanks to superior contrast and sharpness.
Like its predecessor, this 24in iMac comes with a FireWire 800 port for fast data transfers between the computer and devices that use that interface, such as external hard drives.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Pausing on the PC death march
- Asus PCs running Windows 7 slam into boot failure after recommended patch
- Samsung's Raspberry Pi-like Artik 10 priced higher at $149.99
- Top 7 ways to create a successful data science team
- Google's CEO just called the next wave in computing, and it's not VR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication Server AdminACT
- CCBusiness Analyst or Information AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCProjects Resource/ Workforce ManagerVIC
- FTSOE Operations SpecialistACT
- FTInformatica Powercenter SpecialistNSW
- FTScrum MasterVIC
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCMultiple Oracle Fusion SOA/BPEL Developer OpportunitiesVIC
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Mobile DeveloperWA
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCSenior Process AnalystVIC
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD