Apple iPod Photo
- Colour screen, good battery life
The Apple iPod Photo is an elegant but pricey way to tote around your favorite photos as well as your music.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Carrying a wallet full of pictures around with you is so last year. Apple's iPod Photo makes looking at your most beloved pictures while on the go as easy as listening to your favorite tunes. But it isn't cheap.
This iPod variant is the first in Apple's line of digital audio players to feature a colour screen. The 2", 65,000-colour display is beautiful and crisp, though a bit small for viewing photos. It can also display tiny versions of album art while music plays.
You load photos in the same way that you would load music, via iTunes 4.7 software. Scrolling through thumbnails--even hundreds of them--is lightning fast. You can choose to look at a single photo, scroll through photos manually, or start a slide show. The Slideshow Settings menu lets you specify, among other things, how long each slide displays, as well as a playlist to aurally accompany the slide show. An included cable gives you the option of plugging the unit into a TV's RCA jacks for big-screen viewing.
In spite of the iPod Photo's colour screen, Apple managed to improve the unit's battery life over the standard iPod. I squeezed nearly 14 hours of listening and viewing pleasure out of one charge (that's up from about 12 hours of run-time on current fourth-generation monochrome iPods). The price may be steep, but the iPod Photo won me over with its gorgeous colour screen and high-quality audio. Now instead of suffering through 40 minutes on the treadmill while staring at the calorie counter, I can pass the time looking at my favorite pictures.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Enterprise Java Beans/J2EE) 160601/AP/982Asia
- CCProjects Resource/ Workforce ManagerVIC
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCData and Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Portfolio Analyst - Risk and MetricsNSW
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCMobile LI SMEVIC
- CCWeb DeveloperACT
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCOracle Fusion SOA/BPEL DeveloperVIC
- CCChange Manager- ProcurementNSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCOperations Systems Support ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- FTSOE Operations SpecialistACT
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW