The Archos 5 touch-screen media player offers spectacular video and music playback to go along with its elegant design.
- Elegant design, spectacular video and music playback
- On-board e-mail client is still in beta, awkward to hold
The Archos 5 is a beautifully designed portable video player with a stunning screen and very good audio and video playback.
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
In our tests, the Archos 5 registered a signal-to-noise ratio of 81 decibels (in this ratio, a higher number indicates a cleaner sound). This is an improvement over the 5's predecessor, the 605 WiFi, whose ratio was 75 dB. We found that the audio improved significantly when we swapped the included earbuds for higher-quality ones.
Archos 5 uses both MTP and MSC transfer modes, so you have some freedom in managing your media. We transferred files using both Windows Media Player and Media Monkey (both are MTP-based players), and both worked fine. We also used MSC mode, which works like a portable hard drive: you drag-and-drop your files into the player.
The Opera Web browser included on the Archos doesn't have Flash 9 support, so many websites with video or audio content won't work. Archos had two firmware updates for this device during our loan period, and the on-board e-mail client is still in beta. (I was able to log in to my Gmail account and access my inbox, but I couldn't send any outgoing messages.)
Because the Archos 5 is advertised as a media tablet, it's disappointing that the e-mail application is not fully functional.
The Archos 5 touch screen media player offers spectacular video and music playback to go along with its elegant design.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerVIC
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- FTSAP PI ABAP SpecialistVIC
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT