- Great double layer burn speeds, fast read times
- Slow-ish CD ripping, unreliable results at high speeds
This burner had multiple failed burns with double layer media and CD media at the highest rated speeds. Its inability to determine automatically the best writing speed for the inserted media means the chance of creating 'coasters' is high.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
This silent runner from ASUS has one of the fastest speed ratings for double layer burning: 6X. This means it should be capable of burning up to 8GB of data in about--or even under--20min. However, in our tests we found that the drive could not handle that maximum speed with our 2.4X Verbatim media, even though it detected that 6X was achievable through Nero. It produced two expensive coasters (unusable discs) just as Nero was about to start burning to the second layer of each disc. Slowing the speed down to 4 let the drive complete a double layer burn without problems.
Once burnt, the disc was read back perfectly by the burner, but it was not readable in our Pioneer 106D DVD burner. The lack of a bitsetting tool on the ASUS Web site means that you cannot make double layer discs compatible with older drives.
The CLV write method is used to create double layer discs, while CAV is the preferred method for high-speed single layer burns.
DVD+R performance was surprisingly slow at just over seven minutes. It had some trouble burning at the highest CD-R speed, where it produced a couple of coasters during our tests.
On a positive note, this drive did have very good DVD+R read times, and its reading capabilities were solid overall. This drive can be purchased relatively cheaply, and it comes with some Ulead video editing software (MovieFactory 3 Suit SE) and an IDE cable.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- HP, SanDisk partner to bring storage-class memory to market
- Intel, Samsung launch their fastest SSDs with up to 5Gbps speeds
- Samsung's 950 Pro SSD marries V-NAND and NVMe for ludicrously fast speeds
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC