- Great double layer burn speeds, fast read times
- Slow-ish CD ripping, unreliable results at high speeds
This burner had multiple failed burns with double layer media and CD media at the highest rated speeds. Its inability to determine automatically the best writing speed for the inserted media means the chance of creating 'coasters' is high.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
This silent runner from ASUS has one of the fastest speed ratings for double layer burning: 6X. This means it should be capable of burning up to 8GB of data in about--or even under--20min. However, in our tests we found that the drive could not handle that maximum speed with our 2.4X Verbatim media, even though it detected that 6X was achievable through Nero. It produced two expensive coasters (unusable discs) just as Nero was about to start burning to the second layer of each disc. Slowing the speed down to 4 let the drive complete a double layer burn without problems.
Once burnt, the disc was read back perfectly by the burner, but it was not readable in our Pioneer 106D DVD burner. The lack of a bitsetting tool on the ASUS Web site means that you cannot make double layer discs compatible with older drives.
The CLV write method is used to create double layer discs, while CAV is the preferred method for high-speed single layer burns.
DVD+R performance was surprisingly slow at just over seven minutes. It had some trouble burning at the highest CD-R speed, where it produced a couple of coasters during our tests.
On a positive note, this drive did have very good DVD+R read times, and its reading capabilities were solid overall. This drive can be purchased relatively cheaply, and it comes with some Ulead video editing software (MovieFactory 3 Suit SE) and an IDE cable.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW