- Fast burning, great value
- Nothing of note
The ASUS DRW-1608p2s leads the field in speed and value
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
If you are looking for fast dual-layer burning, then the buck stops with the ASUS DRW-1608P2S. It is the fastest double-layer and single-layer DVD burner we have had and it comes with support for every DVD and CD format.
The ASUS Double Dynamic Suspension System reduces vibration and controls resonant frequencies. This resulted in a high quality burn at the highest speed of 8x on a 2.4x DVD+DL disc. The ASUS over-speed burning immediately recognised our media and set it to 8x. It is the only DVD burner that has been able to burn 2.4x DVD-DL at 8x, allowing for a full 7.2GB to be burnt in 17 minutes, a rate of 7.05MBps. The DVD+R 4GB burn test with a 6x disc was burnt in 7.5 minutes, which was a little slower than other burners. However, ASUS claims you can burn an 8x DVD+R disc at speeds of up to 12x. We didnA¢i¿½i¿½t yield any speed increases using our 6x disc.
Buffer underrun problems have been eliminated by the introduction of FlextraLink technology, which continually monitors the buffer to prevent the creation of unusable discs. The burst rate was quite fast at 37MBps, producing a transfer speed to the hard disk of 16MBps..
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- FTOIM Specialist- Oracle Identity and Access Management 11Gr2NSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Sydney BasedNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTFunctional Kronos ConsultantNSW
- FTApplication Manager | Telco IndustryVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCSolution Architect / Data ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Workforce ManagementVIC
- FTApplication Team Lead | Billing & CreditVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/JAVA/Oracle) 160504/SA/vtdAsia
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA