ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 Android phone (preview)
The Fonepad Note is a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus
- Huge screen
- Dual speakers on front
- Included stylus
- Thicker and larger than Galaxy Note II
- No 4G connectivity
- No word on AU release
The ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 is a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus and it's likely to compete directly with Samsung's Galaxy Note II.
Large smartphones seem to be as popular as ever and ASUS has just jumped into the game with the Fonepad Note FHD 6. It's a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus and it's likely to compete directly with Samsung's Galaxy Note II.
ASUS yet hasn't released a full specifications sheet for the Fonepad Note, despite unveiling the device at the Computex trade show in Taipei. However, the Fonepad Note appears to be slightly larger and thicker than the Galaxy Note II. ASUS chairman Jonney Shih says the phone has an "incredible narrow frame" that will easily fit in a pocket but make no mistake — this is a very large smartphone.
The Fonepad Note comes with dual-stereo speakers that sit above and below its 6in screen and the back is finished in a glittery, white plastic. The device appears to come in a white model only, though we expect to see a black model released at some stage. A stylus is included with the Fonepad Note and it is stored in a compartment at the back of the phone, very similar to the Galaxy Note II.
ASUS has used a full HD Super IPS+ screen with a resolution of 1920x1080, so expect the Fonepad Note to display crisp text. The device is powered by a 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2560 processor, has 2GB of RAM and comes with either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory. A microSD card slot allows users to expand the on-board storage.
Unfortunately, the Fonepad Note is not an LTE device, so it won't support 4G networks in Australia. The handset is a quad-band 3G smartphone that will work on all Australian 3G networks including Telstra, Optus and Vodafone.
Other features of the ASUS Fonepad Note include an 8-megapixel rear camera, a front-facing 1.2-megapixel camera for video calls and NFC connectivity. The phone runs Google's latest 4.2 "Jelly Bean" version of Android.
ASUS hasn't announced if or when the Fonepad Note FHD 6 will be launched in Australia, but we expect to see it in the coming months.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel's Atom architecture to live on despite smartphone chip cancellations
- Galaxy Note 6 rumors hint at IR autofocus, USB-C connectivity, new Snapdragon SoC
- LG shows off a smartphone display panel with integrated fingerprint reader
- Smartphone uptake passes its peak as industry appetite wanes
- Telstra commits $50 million to cut mobile outages
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- FTFunctional Kronos ConsultantNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCAzure DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTBA/Technical Project Manager/Product ManagerQLD
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW