ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 Android phone (preview)
The Fonepad Note is a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus
- Huge screen
- Dual speakers on front
- Included stylus
- Thicker and larger than Galaxy Note II
- No 4G connectivity
- No word on AU release
The ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 is a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus and it's likely to compete directly with Samsung's Galaxy Note II.
Large smartphones seem to be as popular as ever and ASUS has just jumped into the game with the Fonepad Note FHD 6. It's a 6in Android smartphone that comes with a stylus and it's likely to compete directly with Samsung's Galaxy Note II.
ASUS yet hasn't released a full specifications sheet for the Fonepad Note, despite unveiling the device at the Computex trade show in Taipei. However, the Fonepad Note appears to be slightly larger and thicker than the Galaxy Note II. ASUS chairman Jonney Shih says the phone has an "incredible narrow frame" that will easily fit in a pocket but make no mistake — this is a very large smartphone.
The Fonepad Note comes with dual-stereo speakers that sit above and below its 6in screen and the back is finished in a glittery, white plastic. The device appears to come in a white model only, though we expect to see a black model released at some stage. A stylus is included with the Fonepad Note and it is stored in a compartment at the back of the phone, very similar to the Galaxy Note II.
ASUS has used a full HD Super IPS+ screen with a resolution of 1920x1080, so expect the Fonepad Note to display crisp text. The device is powered by a 1.6GHz Intel Atom Z2560 processor, has 2GB of RAM and comes with either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory. A microSD card slot allows users to expand the on-board storage.
Unfortunately, the Fonepad Note is not an LTE device, so it won't support 4G networks in Australia. The handset is a quad-band 3G smartphone that will work on all Australian 3G networks including Telstra, Optus and Vodafone.
Other features of the ASUS Fonepad Note include an 8-megapixel rear camera, a front-facing 1.2-megapixel camera for video calls and NFC connectivity. The phone runs Google's latest 4.2 "Jelly Bean" version of Android.
ASUS hasn't announced if or when the Fonepad Note FHD 6 will be launched in Australia, but we expect to see it in the coming months.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- iOS 10 slower off the uptake mark
- Hands-on: Google Assistant's Allo chatbot outdoes Cortana, Siri as your digital pal
- HTC announces the Desire 10 Pro and Desire 10 Lifestyle smartphones
- Report: Samsung's overzealous efforts to beat Apple lead to battery woes
- The iPhone 7's sleeper hit feature is its display
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW