ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 Android tablet (preview)
The MeMo Pad HD 7 is a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel camera
- Very low price
- Rear facing camera
- Light weight
- Wi-Fi only
- No real wow factor
The ASUS Memo Pad HD 7 is a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera. It will become one of the cheapest tablets on the market.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
- HS-101 Deep Impact Bass Crystal Clear Voice Not... 25.99
- HS-101 PC Headset With Deep Impact Bass 26.49
Small and cheap tablets seem to be flying onto the shelves, most of them clearly trying to replicate the success of the Google Nexus 7. ASUS' latest attempt is the MeMo Pad HD 7, a very similar device to the Nexus 7 but with the addition of a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera.
ASUS describes the MeMo Pad HD 7 as "a 7-inch tablet that offers incredible value". Starting at US$129 for the 8GB model and US$149 for the 16GB model, it's hard to argue with that statement. Even the $199 pricing in Australia makes it one of the cheapest Android tablets on the market.
The MeMo Pad HD 7 looks very similar to the Nexus 7, which is hardly surprising since ASUS manufacturers that device, too. The addition of four color variants — black, white, pink and green — will help it stand out from the crowd but the biggest plus is weight. At 302g, the MeMo Pad HD 7 is 38g lighter than the Nexus 7, even though it's ever so slightly thicker.
Despite being an entry level device, you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. The MeMo Pad HD 7 has a quad-core Cortex A7 processor, 1GB of RAM and the previously mentioned 8GB or 16GB of internal storage, depending on the model you choose. There's also a microSD card slot to expand the memory.
The MeMo Pad HD 7 also has a 7in IPS screen with a resolution of 1280x800, a front-facing 1.2-megapixel camera for video calls and a 5-megapixel rear-facing camera that also doubles as a 720p HD video recorder. ASUS says the rear-facing camera is "optional" on some models, but there's been no official word on the specifics of this.
The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 has a non-removable lithium polymer battery that the company says will last for up to 10 hours of video playback. The device runs the latest 4.2 'Jelly Bean' version of Google's Android operating system, though ASUS does pre-load a few apps including WebStorage Office for accessing Microsoft Office documents online.
The ASUS MeMo Pad HD 7 is available now through authorised ASUS retailers and channel resellers in grey, blue, white, pink and green colour variants for $199.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- North Korea reportedly blocks Facebook and Twitter
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW