- Contrast ratio, attractive design.
- Buttons, colour reproduction.
Despite its limitations, this monitor is compelling because it has very good contrast. We think its best use is for watching DVDs.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Asus is looking to differentiate itself with its 19in widescreen LCD monitor, the PW191. And the industrial design of the PW191 is definitely eye-catching: a black bezel surrounds the screen, while a silver base props it up, allowing it to swivel and pivot.
The monitor's controls are also out of the ordinary. They are based on a feather-touch design, rather than being physical buttons. To activate them, you simply rest your finger on the label and hope that it gets recognised. Unfortunately, in our tests we found the buttons did not always work. It took a lot of time before we could properly calibrate the monitor with DisplayMate.
Using DisplayMate, we found the panel's contrast to be very good: all light-grey levels were visible on a white background. Its brightness was not able to show many dark-grey levels on a black background. Its black colouring is very rich, however.
As for colour reproduction, the monitor relies on a 6-bit LCD panel, which means it does not have the capability to reproduce all of the colours that your graphics card can output. As such, dithering is used to create the colours that aren't in its palette. Despite this limitation, tests using colour scales were accurate, with no shift in hues, and our test photographs looked rich and vibrant. While most photos were well-detailed and looked great as they shone through the gloss-coated panel, the lack of brightness meant that photos with shadows and dark areas were not well defined.
For gaming, the monitor has a pixel response rating of 8ms, but we did notice a lot of ghosting in our text-scrolling tests.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
PCW Evaluation Team
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTProject Co-OrdinaterNSW
- FTTest LeadNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTProject Coordinator/AdministratorNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!VIC
- FTService Desk Operations AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- FTJunior Applications SupportNSW
- FTData and Insights AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Data Migration SpecialistACT
- FTAutomation TesterQLD
- FTTechnical Data Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - SalesforceNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (BI / Analytics)NSW
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPEngineer Desktop DevelopmentVIC
- FTDatabase DeveloperSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Office 365QLD