ASUS Travelite HS-1000W
A pricey and portable wireless headset.
- Portable, capable of loud volume, comfortable
- Expensive, sound lacks clarity, microphone's "noise cancellation" doesn't work very well
The ASUS Travelite HS-1000W headset is comfortable to wear and easy to transport. Unfortunately it is also very expensive, and its sound reproduction suffers from a lack of clarity.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The ASUS Travelite HS-1000W is a wireless headset that operates on the 2.4GHz frequency band. While it is portable and produces plenty of volume, the headphone speakers themselves are quite small, limiting the quality of the audio.
The HS-1000W comes with a nifty USB dongle that has a mini-USB port on one side. When connected to the headphones, this acts as the charger for the Lithium-Polymer battery. The battery lasted 6hr 49min in our music rundown test. The HS-1000W has no other connection, so users won't be able to plug it into a microphone or headphone port.
The HS-1000W’s control system comprises four buttons on the right ear piece. Users can switch the device or the microphone on and off with the power button, depending on how long the button is depressed. Volume control keys sit on either side of the power button, and a "link" button pairs the headset with the dongle.
Wireless headphones are not expected to provide the same level of audio quality as their wired cousins, and the HS-1000W is no exception. Although there is very little distortion, the 40mm speakers deliver sound that is slightly closed in, without enough individual frequency definition.
Fortunately, most users will be surprised by the HS-1000W's volume. Even when turned to the highest settings, distortion was kept to a minimum, although the lack of clarity remained an issue. The bass was light, but that is to be expected from such small drivers.
The headset is quite comfortable to wear once it has been adjusted. Thanks to its light weight, keeping it on for a long time won't strain your neck.
A key selling point of the HS-1000W is its portability. Once the headset has been folded inwards it can be stored in the included hard-shell case along with the dongle and mini-USB cable. This makes it easy to bring it along to LAN events or carry it in laptop bags for Skype calls.
Although ASUS claims that the built-in microphone has noise-cancellation capabilities, we found that environmental noise seeped in. Having said that, the quality will be fine for VoIP conversations and in-game chatting.
All in all, the HS-1000W will not satisfy audiophiles that cringe at a lack of crystal clear treble notes and bowel-clenching bass. But if you're looking for a set of small headphones that are portable, provide decent audio reproduction and can be used for VoIP on the run, then it's worth looking into.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCData Engineer (Java/ Data/ Big Data Developer)VIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW