- Overall solid performance
- Some small stuttering over distance
This is an excellent router for short-range file transfers and can be tailored to provide great performance over long distances, up to 50m away.
Price$ 330.00 (AUD)
Using the third generation of Airgo's True MIMO (multiple-in, multiple-out) chipset, Asus has laid claim to having the world's first 802.11g wireless router (for an ADSL or cable connection) that is faster at transferring data than a wired 10/100 Ethernet network.
With a wireless speed rating of 240Mbps (megabits per second), the Asus WL-566gM can theoretically move data at up to 30MBps. A 100Mbps Ethernet connection tops out at 12.5MBps. Theoretical speeds are never reached when transferring data across networks, mainly due to data overheads and encryption (we tested with WPA AES).
To gauge the real-world Ethernet and wireless performance of the router, we connected two PCs to its 10/100 Ethernet ports and we also used a notebook equipped with an Asus WL-106gM wireless adapter and conducted data transfer tests.
Our 717MB test file was transferred over the 10/100 Ethernet ports at an average of 8.14MBps. With the wireless network, over a distance of 1.5m the same file averaged a data throughput of 6.18MBps. This transfer rate did not beat the Ethernet connection for speed, but it's the fastest rate that we have moved data across a wireless network. At a 10m distance, the same file averaged 5.35MBps.
However, the quick transfer rates of this router did not translate to faultless video streaming across a wireless network. Set at 240Mbps, we experienced occasional stuttering while watching DivX files from our file server (at 10m away), something we had not experienced with MIMO routers in other tests. Throttling the wireless speed to 108Mbps fixed this problem.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- FTSAP FI/CO module- Tester/ Quality AnalystNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA