ASUS WL-HDD 2.5
- Customisable hard disk capacity, wireless compatibility
- No USB 2.0 or gigabit Ethernet, quite pricey
The WL-WDD is great for users who want portable storage that's compatible with wireless technology.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The ASUS WL-WDD is designed to be used over a wired 10/100 Ethernet or 802.11b/g wireless network.
Ideal for business or home users, it provides a location all computers can access to dump files (data, music, videos etc), possibly eliminating the need for a file server. In effect, it's a simple NAS (network attached storage) device.
The WL-HDD is sold without a hard disk, so users can add a 2.5" notebook hard disk of their own choice and capacity. The device can also act as a wireless access point and allow a wireless Internet connection to be shared over a network. Both WEP and WPA encryption are provided to help secure the connection and files. For feedback, four LEDs indicate the status of active connections.
The WL-WDD is also equipped with a USB 1.1 connection, primarily designed to automatically copy data from USB storage devices. Gigabit Ethernet would have been nice, as would have USB 2.0, but as things stand, this is a fantastic little device that could be extremely useful for a wide variety of users.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCTechnology Project ManagerNSW