Atlus Luminous Arc
- Great presentation, two player option, intelligent level-up system.
- If you've played other games in the genre, expect a big feeling of deja vu to sink in.
Luninous Ark is a solid, by-the-book RPG that won't disappoint fans of genre. Having said that, it fails to deliver anything new and is over all too quickly.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
The DS has sorely been lacking in the strategy RPG department since its early conception, so it's good to see Atlus step up to the plate with Luminous Arc. But while it's an interesting stab at filling this void in the DS library, it ultimately comes up short.
Where Luminous Arc succeeds is in its presentation: the game is beautifully drawn with attractive character designs, boasts a solid sound track and, surprisingly enough, features an adept voice-acting cast. What it doesn't do so well, however, is in the story line, which is bland and underwhelming while the character development is weak and lacking.
At least the game plays decently enough. It's reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics in that you move your characters around to your desired position on the battlefield one square at a time to engage your enemy. The game does have the added option of a super move called the Flash Drive, which adds a nice little twist to things. Although you can't choose the job type for your characters like Final Fantasy Tactics, you do have a fair assortment of fighters to choose from, but they all have predictable personalities. There's the fair but naive protagonist swordsman, the rough and tumble womanizer with the big broadsword, the conflicted priestess, the large breasted witches - the list goes on and on.
We also noticed that the small size of the DS screen really detracts from the action. It is difficult, and at times impossible, to choose the one character that you want to heal or hurt. Many times while in a rush to attack, you can accidentally select the wrong unit. Fortunately the game includes a confirmation screen for each move to help you from committing to "user stylus malfunction," but it would be nice to be able to alter camera angles on the battle field to reveal the hiding character to correctly select the unit instead of accidentally killing your teammate when you're already in a pinch.
We did appreciate the ability to battle others over the DS Lite's Wi-Fi connection but ultimately, there isn't enough in this game for us to fully recommend it. It's a decent enough game but it isn't the grand strategy RPG experience that we've all been waiting for.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- CCProject Coordinator l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTScrum MasterQLD
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- TPBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Network EngineerWA
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Iteration ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Business AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD