Autodesk 3DS Max 2010
The newest version of Autodesk’s 3D suite contains some major interface changes
- Graphite modelling toolset and ribbon interface, render-preview effects in the viewport, enhanced OBJ support, containers, Material Explorer, mental mill
- Some features already appeared in subscriber-only Creativity Extension for 3DS Max 2009, some known bugs and limitations, expensive
Autodesk’s venerable 3D suite has received more than just a facelift. The workflow and tool enhancements are welcome, while the focus on audio and collaborative toolsets makes this a far more rounded package than before.
The newest version of Autodesk’s 3D suite contains some major interface changes. On opening 3DS Max 2010, you’ll immediately be aware of the new Graphite Modelling toolset. This allows you to directly select and manipulate polygon objects.
Initially displayed as a single Graphite tab, when a suitable model — such as an editable polygon – is selected, the Ribbon updates to display a full range of polygon-editing tools, as well as freeform and selection tools.
When each tool on the Ribbon is selected, a light green panel appears at the end, displaying the settings for the tool. Autodesk concedes that there is currently a bug in the system – the Graphite Tools and the Modify panel are not fully synchronised, so changes to some Modify panel settings do not update their equivalents in the Graphite user interface. We didn’t find this an insurmountable problem, though — using a button on the main toolbar, Menu bar, or the Graphite Modeling tools will update the user interface in any case.
The Ribbon greatly improves workflow. We were able to select a single vertex, and then click on the options under Grow in the Modify tab to interactively expand the selection to cover a section of an object in a couple of moves. Loop and Ring modes are available — choosing two or more adjacent segments and clicking the relevant selection tool swiftly selects a parallel loop or ring of polygons.
Another enhancement is the ability to set the selection to skip points, so it only selects alternate edges in a ring, for example. You can also add subsequent loops interactively using the rather nifty Swift Loop tool. Freeform tools are also available. All these tools are also available from the Command panel, but the Ribbon gives faster contextual access.
There are also other modelling enhancements, such as the ProOptimizer modifier. In common with other polygon-reduction tools — including the MultiRes modifier already in 3DS Max — this allows you to simplify models and thus reduce memory overheads when rendering. ProOptimizer has a more complex battery of settings, however, and the results were noticeably improved in comparison to the reduction offered by the older modifier.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- FTHRIS ConsultantQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect l Practice Manager - Archimate 3.0, eTOMNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- FTIT Business AnalystNSW
- TPTechnical WriterVIC
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- CCCA ITCM / ITCA Engineer with some hands-on knowledge of scripting.NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD