Autodesk Maya 2011
Debuting in Maya 2011 is the Camera Sequencer which manages multiple camera shots in an animation sequence.
- 64-bit support Mac for Mac OS X, improved performance and productivity, enhanced character animation, new Camera Sequencer, updated dynamics
- Comparatively expensive, steep learning curve, needs better 3D painting system.
Maya 2011 delivers important performance and workflow improvements including 64-bit support for Mac OS X. With 64-bit support Mac users can access valuable computing resources and take advantage of the performance improvements available in this release. Performance and computing boosts aside, much of what’s new in Maya 2011 focuses on its traditional strengths: character animation and dynamics.
Price$ 3,495.00 (AUD)
Maya is the de facto application for 3D character animation, but even in Maya rigging a character for animation is often a tedious chore. Fortunately, in Maya 2011 rigging is a bit easier with new interactive skin binding which sets up initial skin weights via a weighting manipulator (like a scale or move manipulator). Once done the initial weights can be refined with the paint weighting tools which have also been improved with tools to copy, paste, and move weights, better selection, and improved colour feedback.
Debuting in Maya 2011 is the Camera Sequencer which manages multiple camera shots in an animation sequence. The Camera Sequencer allows animators to experiment with camera choreography from scratch within Maya or to import an EDL from Final Cut for instance and compose and frame scenes and set up object and camera animations using the EDL data. The Camera Sequences can also import associated video, audio, and timing information. Once camera shots are orchestrated the Camera Sequences produces pre-viz movies of the animation. The new Camera Sequencer is like having a bit of After Effects or Final Cut inside Maya.
However, even with careful weighting deformations in some joints can cause the mesh to twist and lose volume producing what is known as a “candy wrapper” effect. To alleviate this problem Maya 2011 introduces a dual quaternion skinning option (in addition to linear skinning) that attenuates unwanted skinning artefacts.
Another character rigging time saver is integration of the HumanIK solver in Maya 2011. The Human IK solver makes it possible to quickly retarget (transfer) animation data like motion capture information from one character to another, regardless of differences in size, proportions and bone hierarchy between the characters. Once animation data is applied to the target character its animation may be edited via animation layers.
In a never ending effort to produce better fluids simulations in this release Maya Fluid Effects ships with important new options. The new Self Attraction and Repulsion attributes create forces between particles that more faithfully reproduce the natural behaviours of swirling or expanding gases. Geared towards improved computing performance the new Auto Resize option resizes the simulation’s container as needed instead of keeping it at a fixed size.
To improve the realism of clouds, plumes of smoke, and other gas simulations Maya 2011 ships with new additions to the Attributes Editor that control lighting inside the simulation. For example, Shadow Diffusion controls shadow softness and light scattering, Light Type produces internal illumination, and Ambient Lighting manages the intensity, colour and diffusion of ambient light in the simulation. All new lighting controls may be previewed in the scene prior to rendering.
Maya’s revolutionary Nucleus technology nParticles and nCloth have also been updated with new options. For instance, nParticles can now emit fluids (classic particles may also emit fluids). Additional attributes like per-particle rotations, collision ramps, and very cool surface tension and viscosity properties take nParticle simulations to a new level of hyper-realism. Not to be outdone nCloth features a new collide strength attribute that specifies the force of collisions between nCloth and other Nucleus objects. A new Bend solver resolves problems with intersections and flipped polygons and the new Rest Length Scale tool determines the texture and surface properties of nCloth objects.
Important productivity improvements in Maya 2011 include better assets management to more efficiently organize large scenes, create assets from templates, enable asset repurposing, and exchange asset data without file referencing. Also a new display option improves the display of very heavy scenes (many models and textures), and the user interface itself has been updated to the Qt framework shared by other Autodesk applications.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- CCTest ManagerWA
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT