Avanquest Photo Explosion Deluxe 4.0
If you haven't got the cash to splash on Adobe's Photoshop, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives when it comes to photo editing and manipulation software
- Not as fully featured as Photoshop
If you don't have the cash to splash on Photoshop, Avanquest Photo Explosion Deluxe 4.0 is a competent alternative. It's simple to use and offers great editing tools alongside fun functions making it ideal for all the family and, in particular, image-conscious Facebook fans.
Price$ 60.00 (AUD)
According to Avanquest this $60 program not only allows PC users to implement basic edits such as cropping and red-eye removal but also to enhance their images with artistic effects, remove blemishes and make them presentable for sharing on social networks such as Facebook and even create personalised gifts such as calendars and post cards from them. But is Avanquest Photo Explosion Deluxe 4.0 as simple and easy to use as Avanquest claims?
Actually, it is. To begin with you need to install the Avanquest Photo Explosion Deluxe 4.0 software on your PC, which takes around five minutes. Then you'll be presented with three shortcuts on your desktop; Photo Explosion Album, Photo Explosion Editor and Photo Explosion Project Studio.
By opening the Photos Explosion Album you'll be able to import the images and pictures saved on our PC into once place by simply clicking the get media button. The software will provide you with an explorer window that lets you search the different folders on your hard drive, looking for media to import into the album. It then lets you assign tags and search terms to each image, making it easier to locate them in the album.
Once you've created an album and assigned tags to you can then edit an image by selecting the ‘Fix & Enhance' button. This offers you four options; quick fix studio, instant artist studio, makeover studio and edit in Avanquest Photo Explosion Deluxe 4.0.
The Quick Fix Studio allows you to make simple edits to fix common problems such as removing red-eye and straightening images, while the edit in photo explosion lets you access the full set of tools in the photo-editing software
In particular we loved the Makeover studio. This offers step-by-step instructions to airbrush people in images to create a perfect look, from smoothing out wrinkles and brightening eyes to adding a fake tan, ideal for use on Facebook and other social networks.
Meanwhile, the instant artist studio allows you to add artistic effects such as turning your photo into a pencil sketch or water colour. Once you've saved the changes, you are transported back to your album. Here you can either chose a new image to edit or make use of the ‘Create & Share' option. We loved this because it not only allowed us to print our images or email them to friends but also allowed us to directly upload them to Facebook or Flickr.
Alternatively, the more competent users can open Photo Explosion Project Editor directly and access all of the photo-editing tools available in the software.
And once you've fixed your images, why not make something featuring them? The Photo Explosion Project Editor offers templates for hundreds of projects from greetings cards and calendars to scrapbooks.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle) 161012/SSA/623Asia
- CCSenior Java Analyst Programmer - Front Office TradingNSW
- FTSOE ArchitectNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- FTCRM Developer - MS Dynamics CRMNSW
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCJunior Programmer (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 161017/JP/221Asia
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCResident Engineer - Nexus 2K, 5K, 7K & 9KNSW
- FTLevel 2 Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Canberra roleNSW
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- FTSolution Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCSnr Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCBuild and Release ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Internet/Intranet) 161019/P/615Asia
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC