Avanquest TurboCAD 15 Deluxe
21 years old!
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a superbly specified and good value-for-money CAD program which has versatility on its side. It’s suitable for a wide variety of uses inclusive of architectural technical drawing, 3-D rendering and specialist design. TurboCAD 15 Deluxe isn’t best suited for the beginner however, but many intermediate to advanced designers on a budget will find the specification and design-genre flexibility truly excellent — if they can ignore the less than polished user interface and monotonic tome-like manual.
Price$ 129.95 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
TurboCAD in its various iterations is easily one of the longest running CAD software programs ever created with a product lifespan in excess of twenty one years — and resulting in claimed sales of 2 million copies. Its not difficult to see why it's been so successful as this latest, version, TurboCAD 15 Deluxe, costs just US$129.95.
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a versatile piece of computer-aided design (CAD) software as it can not only do standard 2-D/3-D technical drawings in AutoCAD's .DWG format and .DXF drawing exchange format files (amongst many others) but is also handy in many other areas of design. It can turn its hand to product design, furniture design, kitchen and micro engineering detail design in 3D. It features good quality rendering with colour shading and lighting effects.
Included in the TurboCAD 15 Deluxe package is an useful roster of library samples, consisting of building construction, electrical, circuit boards and furniture. There are also many examples of component templates which are really useful for quick visualisations and as comparative tools against which to assess new designs.
The creation of colour transparencies with either 2-D or 3-D designs aids its functionality and gives professional results when crafting graphic design, logos and even brochures for all these newly designed products.
However, all this versatility and generous-for-the-price specification may be somewhat lost on the beginner as TurboCAD 15 Deluxe's user interface is not the slickest. It cannot compare to AutoCAD or even Photoshop, for instance — TurboCAD is a bit messy and non-intuitive as a result.
A further limitation for the novice is the printed user guide, which at 470 pages long and about the thickness of a paperback novel isn't the easiest read. It has a dry-looking layout that even some intermediate users could find convoluted. Much better would have been split up volumes of user manuals, with quick reference guides printed in larger format paper with colour screenshots.
TurboCAD 15 Deluxe is a versatile tool for mechanical design, architecture and much more.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW