AVG 8.5 Free
Though AVG 8.5 Free has a good, straightforward interface and useful blocking of Web-based attacks, its malware blocking is below average
- Good at PC disinfection, ability to scan Web traffic and e-mail
- Middling malware detection, Slow on-demand scans
AVG 8.5 Free is well-rounded overall, but its second-tier malware detection rate should make you consider one of the better-performing programs first.
AVG Technology's AVG 8.5 Anti-Virus Free antivirus app has solid features and a generally polished interface, but its relatively lacklustre showing at malware detection is a disappointment.
AVG detected 95.8 percent of AV-Test.org's malware zoo of about half a million Trojan horses, worms, spyware, and other nasties. Although that isn't a terrible result, it doesn't stand up well against the detection rates of the top performer, Avira Antivir Personal. Hampering AVG's overall score was its 95.3 percent detection rate for Trojan horses, the most common type of malware in the set, as well as its surprisingly poor 88.8 percent detection rate for spyware that tries to steal financial-account passwords.
AVG 8.5 Free's proactive detection and scan speed are both middle of the road. The software was third in tests that evaluate the program's ability to block new and unknown malware. It ranked the same for on-access scan speed, which comes into play when you open or save a file. For on-demand scans it was a lot pokier (sixth out of nine), but since you can schedule the scans for when you're not around, a slower speed isn't as problematic here.
This long-standing program performed well in system disinfection. In one test, AVG 8.5 Free detected and disabled all 10 malware infections. It tended to miss less-critical things such as Registry changes or blocked access to the Windows Task Manager, but so did all the other free antivirus software we tried. AVG also did well in avoiding false positives, making only one boy-who-cried-wolf mistake.
The AVG package offers a good set of features. Its LinkScanner component will try to detect and stop attacks on web pages while you surf, and it will provide safety ratings for search results (you can download LinkScanner by itself).
AVG 8.5 Free can scan email, too, something only Avast Antivirus Home Edition and ClamWin Free Antivirus also offer. But while that is a beneficial extra, the program's AVG toolbar with search options doesn't afford any additional protection; you can safely skip it during installation. You'll likely find most of the default settings appropriate, except for the daily full scan at noon. You can choose another time of day in the installation wizard, but to change it to a weekly scan you'll have to adjust the settings after installation.
AVG 8.5 Free displays an ad for its paid product at the bottom of the main program window, along with an occasional pop-up ad. Neither is especially intrusive, and the interface is generally straightforward enough for use on a daily basis.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- FTWeb Developer | Parramatta | Initial 6 month contractNSW
- FTSolutions Architect (Collaboration Technology) - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global Ecommerce BrandNSW
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Solution ArchitectsACT
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTFull Stack Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst, Wealth InvestmentNSW
- TPPHP Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMWA
- FTTest Automation Lead | 6mth ContractVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager - Infrastructure / LogisticsNSW
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- CCJava Developer IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - FinanceQLD
- FTSenior Capacity Planner | Contract through till DecemberVIC
- FTSenior Security SpecialistNSW
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT