AVG Technologies AU Anti-Virus 8.0 Free
The new version of the famous free antivirus solution
- Nothing of note
Even if it wasn't free, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 Free would be a good antivirus product.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Of all the free antivirus packages you can download (and there are a few), AVG Anti-Virus Free has to be the doyen of the lot.
And for good reason — it is a pretty good AV package, not the very best perhaps but pretty good. The release of the free version of the current edition of AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 came a couple of months after the commercial version.
As before, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 is based on the same core AV technology as the retail version but minus a few bells and whistles, so it is to all intents and purposes the same as the retail product. Which makes it a pretty good AV choice, even ignoring the great price tag.
So what don't you get for your no money? Well, no support for a start, though the support offered by AVG Technologies for paid editions is limited to online only, so maybe this is no great loss.
AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0 is just an AV product and not an Internet security bundle so you won't find a firewall or antispam module, though, as before, the package integrates with your email client to stop mail-borne malware.
However, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 does include the new LinkScanner feature, this marks dodgy sites returned by a search engine hunt.
Finally, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 only updates once and not four times daily. You can download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition from free.grisoft.com.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- A10 Networks launches Thunder Convergent Firewall
- Asacub is mobile banking’s new adversary: Kaspersky Lab
- Kaspersky Lab partners with WISeKey for wearable security
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSharePoint EngineerACT
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Crystal Report) 160115/AP/vhsAsia
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- CCIBM ESB Developer (Junior to mid level role)NSW
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- FTOracle System Integration Engineer - CANBERRASA
- FTTechnical Support Engineer, International SoftwareNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSAP Basis Admin with JavaACT
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC