AVG Technologies AU Anti-Virus 8.0 Free
The new version of the famous free antivirus solution
- Nothing of note
Even if it wasn't free, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 Free would be a good antivirus product.
Of all the free antivirus packages you can download (and there are a few), AVG Anti-Virus Free has to be the doyen of the lot.
And for good reason — it is a pretty good AV package, not the very best perhaps but pretty good. The release of the free version of the current edition of AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 came a couple of months after the commercial version.
As before, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 is based on the same core AV technology as the retail version but minus a few bells and whistles, so it is to all intents and purposes the same as the retail product. Which makes it a pretty good AV choice, even ignoring the great price tag.
So what don't you get for your no money? Well, no support for a start, though the support offered by AVG Technologies for paid editions is limited to online only, so maybe this is no great loss.
AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0 is just an AV product and not an Internet security bundle so you won't find a firewall or antispam module, though, as before, the package integrates with your email client to stop mail-borne malware.
However, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 does include the new LinkScanner feature, this marks dodgy sites returned by a search engine hunt.
Finally, AVG Anti-Virus 8.0 only updates once and not four times daily. You can download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition from free.grisoft.com.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- 'Mind-blowingly awesome' Telstra phishing scam detected
- Facebook Messenger flaw revealed
- Synaptics's low-cost USB fingerprint reader could bring Windows Hello to old PCs
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia