Belkin Powerline AV+ Starter Kit F5D4075
The Belkin Powerline AV+ networking kit lets you extend your home network over your electrical wiring
- Interchangeable wall plug and extension cord, three Ethernet ports on remote adapter
- No set-up utility
If you have more than one device that you would like to network, or if you want the convenience of desktop mounting, the Belkin Powerline AV+ may be your best option among powerline kits.
Price$ 269.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
HomePlug AV powerline kits tend to be similar in most respects, but the Belkin Powerline AV+ has two compelling features that set it apart from the rest, at little or no added cost.
First, no other HomePlug AV kit we've looked at has interchangeable wall and desk mounts. Like most powerline adaptors, the Belkin Powerline AV+ can remain happily plugged into a wall outlet. But the Belkin kit also includes a cord that permits you to park the adaptor on your desk, saving space in a crowded power outlet and making it easier to connect and disconnect devices.
Second, the Belkin Powerline AV+ includes multiple Ethernet ports in the remote adaptor — an extremely useful feature for home-theatre applications.
You can take advantage of the Belkin Powerline AV+'s three ports to keep your game console, DVR, and Slingbox (for example) connected simultaneously. The overall powerline throughput (about 60mbps in our tests) will get split up among those three ports, but you're unlikely to use more than one or two of them at once, and it can easily handle two high-definition streams.
Otherwise, the Belkin Powerline AV+ kit performs on a par with the other HomePlug AV kits we tested, producing glitch-free high-def video streaming and very good throughput.
The Belkin ships without a software utility, so you can't do things like change the quality of service prioritisation on your network. But it does include a colour-coded powerline LED that indicates whether your connection is bad, so you'll know whether you should choose a different outlet.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- CCLevel 1 & 2 Helpdesk (Need SAP, ERP system experience)NSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTInformation Security ConsultantACT
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCArchitect (AWS)NSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk SupportNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCIT Helpdesk Support- Remedy ticketing systemNSW
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- FTBusiness Analyst - Oracle Financials (Procure To Pay)NSW
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCIT Change Manager - Western SydneyNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW